A MAN who hijacked an ambulance outside Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) was just recently discharged from the Institute of Psychology and Behavioral Medicine (formerly Davao Mental hospital.
Capt. Rosario Aguilar, the spokesperson of Davao City Police Office (DCPO), said the man was a jeepney driver and a resident of Sasa. His is withheld in accordance with the Health Privacy Code.
Initial investigation showed that Junell Magsanay Santos, 33, married, and a resident of Bansalan, Davao del Sur, left the engine running while unloading a patient at the SPMC.
The patient slipped into the vehicle and drove it away. The mobile patrol of the Buhangin Police Station was present in the area and gave chase.
Reaching the fixed checkpoint of the Task Force Davao in Lasang, the suspect intentionally ran over the responding personnel of TF Davao trying to flagged down the vehicle. They jumped away, escaping potentially serious injuries. Some of the law enforcers shot at the tires of the ambulance
The patient was successfully intercepted along the national highway in Purok Centro 2, Panabo City. Unfortunately, he sustained a gunshot wound on the chest. He was again back to the Southern Philippine Medical Center for immediate medical intervention. He is now in a stable condition.
According to his 32-year-old live-in partner, a resident of Sasa, the suspect was discharged from the SPMC-IPBM on August 9, 2021. He reportedly failed to take his maintenance medicine causing a relapse. The report said that patient was diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder.
When he went wild inside their house, he sustained injuries to his right and lips and was brought to the government hospital for treatment.
He is now confined in the Southern Philippine Medical Center, while the recovered vehicle was temporarily under the custody of the Panabo Police Station.
- MG Mall Of Asia joins MG Philippines’ Nationwide Dealership Network, and is the first MG Dealership to feature a unique MG “Carffé” Coffee Shop
- EGALITARIAN | Catching up with our neighbors
- CHEMICAL SPILL | Public warned vs. water activities at Davao River until declared safe
- Kadayawan 3D light show at City Hall starts on Aug. 5
- Ex-DA chief Piñol calls for NFA revival to promote PH banana
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Family album
- ROUGH CUTS | Our hat off the CHO
- SEC cancels Flying Bear’s lending license, registration
- City readies aid to quake victims
- LGU, DOH link to enhance campaign on family planning