The 20-year old Fil-Japanese caught fire in her final nine, going six-over over a seven-hole stretch as made five birdies and an eagle at the drivable par-4 17th, which she reached in two before making a short putt.
In all, the ICTSI-backed Saso went a scorching 13-under par over her last three rounds on a 68, 67, and a 65, but an opening round of three-over 74 eventually cost her a place on the podium in her Olympic debut.
Saso wound up with a 10-under 274, climbing from 47th place to a share of ninth. But she finished seven shots behind American gold medalist Nelly Korda and three shots out of a shot at a medal.
Korda wrapped up the gold medal with a closing 69 and a 17-under par 267 total, completing the American sweep of the Olympic golf competitions after Xander Schauffelle won the men’s tournament.
Mone Inami of Japan took the silver after beating Lydia Ko of New Zealand in a playoff, shooting par against the latter’s bogey. The two finished at 16-under 268 after identical 65s in the final round.
Bianca Pagdanganan never really got going in the last three days after an opening 69. She closed out with a 74 marred by a double-bogey at the last and finished with a one-over 285 total, good for 43rd in a field of 60 players.
- Discover new tech trends and the new retail at the Stores Asia Expo 2022
- 10th ID donates aircons to seniors
- `Disgraceful version’ Sara lambastes Walden Bello for `blaming’ her for libel case
- Man missing as floods hit city, bares CDRRMO
- Thai, 14 others to judge `Indak-indak’, says organizer
- Councilors acknowledge Times’ role in shaping Davao’s history
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Davao Light and Poer Co., Inc. Service disruptions on August 11, 12, and 13 in different areas of Davao City
- ROUGH CUTS | One light moment with the late FVR
- OFFICIAL | Number of enrollees seen to surpass number last year