DAVAO CITY – The local government unit of Sta. Cruz, Davao del Sur is in the thick of preparations for the homecoming of Olympic silver medalist boxer Nesthy Petecio.
Raised in Tuban, Sta. Cruz, Petecio will be given honor for bringing pride to the country through a hero’s welcome, Mayor Jaime Lao Jr. said Tuesday.
Petecio is bringing home the country’s first silver medal in women’s boxing. The last silver medal won by the country was in men’s boxing during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics through Mansueto “Onyok” Velasco.
Lao said strict health protocols would be observed during the welcome ceremonies.
Petecio would be given cash incentives but Lao did not disclose the amount. He said he has instructed the local finance committee to realign funds for cash incentives for the lady boxer.
Davao del Sur Gov. Marc Cagas said preparations for Petecio’s return had been discussed even before her fight at the Tokyo Games.
“Right before her fight, we already have a meeting and we discussed that we will prepare something for her whether she will win or not. As to the preparation, we are yet finalizing it especially in accordance with COVID-19 rules,” Cagas said.
Petecio is among the Mindanaoans who will arrive home with Olympic medals around their neck. Weightlifter Hidilyn Diaz from Zamboanga is the first Filipino to bring home an Olympic gold medal.
Petecio’s fellow boxers, Eumir Marcial and Carlo Paalam, are also assured of bronze in their respective categories. (PNA)
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success