NESTHY PETECIO of Sta. Cruz, Davao del Sur moved to the gold medal round after beating Italy’s Testa Irma in women’s featherweight (54-57kg) semifinals, Saturday at the Kokugikan Arena of the ongoing 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Petecio became the first Filipina boxer to fight in an Olympic gold medal match after she rallied for a thrilling 4-1 split decision over the much-taller Testa.
Prior to Irma, Petecio bested Columbia’s Yeni Marcela Arias Castaneda via unanimous decision for a semifinals slot assuring a bronze.
On the other hand, Bukidnon-born Carlo Paalam who grew up in Balingoan, Misamis Oriental outboxed Algeria’s Flissi Mohamed in the men’s flyweight (48-52kg) quarterfinals. He moves on to the semifinal round.
- AboitizPower’s Hedcor celebrates 45th anniversary
- PRO XI: Heighten patrols to keep streets safe
- 8 Injury Prevention Tips for Older Athletes
- KonsultaMD SuperApp: A game-changer in Philippine healthcare
- MTCP Alumni feted by Malaysian Consul General Consul General of Malaysia, Hon. Deddy Faisal Ahmad Salleh
- Consul General of Malaysia Mr. Deddy Faisal Bin Ahmad speech at High Tea Reception in honour of MTCP Alumni
- Globe shifts Iloilo facility to renewable energy, total sites on clean energy now at 25
- ROUGH CUTS| We’re starting to read through the pictures
- Poplar invites UX designers and writers to Designers Homecoming
- 62 fire victims get cash aid