NESTHY PETECIO of Sta. Cruz, Davao del Sur moved to the gold medal round after beating Italy’s Testa Irma in women’s featherweight (54-57kg) semifinals, Saturday at the Kokugikan Arena of the ongoing 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Petecio became the first Filipina boxer to fight in an Olympic gold medal match after she rallied for a thrilling 4-1 split decision over the much-taller Testa.
Prior to Irma, Petecio bested Columbia’s Yeni Marcela Arias Castaneda via unanimous decision for a semifinals slot assuring a bronze.
On the other hand, Bukidnon-born Carlo Paalam who grew up in Balingoan, Misamis Oriental outboxed Algeria’s Flissi Mohamed in the men’s flyweight (48-52kg) quarterfinals. He moves on to the semifinal round.
- REFLECTIONS | More evils: Cults, “possession,” pornography and child abuse
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Before there was EDSA, there was Claveria
- ROUGH CUTS… | The other face of Davao City
- TIMESMAN | My life story
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- Parents of kids with seizure episodes urged to seek medical checkup ASAP
- Davao Light honors scholars, board passers
- SMB’s 14th ‘Trees Brew Life’ regreens Panigan Watershed
- 337 NPA guerrillas neutralized from Jan to Sept: EastMinCom
- Floods, landslides in Region XI displace 10,000 people: RDRRMC