FOR Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Chairman William Ramirez, a third time could be a charm.
Ramirez owns the distinction as the only chairman since the PSC’s establishment in 1990 to be at the helm of the sports agency in three Olympics—his first Beijing 2008, followed by Rio de Janeiro 2016, and now, Tokyo 2020+1.
“I always say, Olympic success is more than just a year of preparation,” said Ramirez two days before he and Chief of Staff Marc Velasco fly to Tokyo aboard Philippine Airlines on Thursday.
“For some, it took 3 cycles. Experience is good leverage,”
Ramirez’s Olympic journey matches weightlifter Hidilyn Diaz’s Games sortie.
Then 18 year-old, Diaz made her Olympic debut in Beijing as a wild card in women’s 58 kg class. So young and so innocent on the Olympic stage then, she didn’t make the podium, nor get close to it, but the prize of Zamboanga City reaped the experience she needed.
London 2012 wasn’t Diaz’s time then but came 2016 in Rio and she brought home a silver medal.
“I have the privilege of seeing Hidilyn grow from grassroots to Olympic medalist,” Ramirez said.
Diaz and 18 other Filipinos are competing in 11 sports in Tokyo and Ramirez believes all of them have the potential to win the country’s first Olympic gold medal—or perhaps even more.
“This batch is strong. Not to discount previous batches kasi lagi ko sinasabi making it to the Olympics is a medal in itself, it is just that this delegation presents us a strong chance for a golden break” Ramirez explained.
Ramirez recalled how he felt when Diaz landed that silver in Rio, ending a six Olympic cycle drought since Atlanta 2016 when Mansueto “Onyok” Velasco won a men’s flyweight gold medal in boxing.
“Everyone was ecstatic syempre. Dinala ko siya kay Presidente at ang napakalinaw na bilin na tandang tanda ko – Butch alagaan mo ang mga bata” Ramirez said.(PR)
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- STATEMENT OF THE UNION OF PEOLES’ LAWYERS IN MINDANAO (UPLM)
- TAOSUG IN DOHA | Narrative clips on the 2013 Zamboanga Siege
- ROUGH CUTS | Stop calling probe invitees ‘resource persons’
- DOF | PH’s strong financial standing confirms DOF’s fiscal policies
- DTI-DavOr banners the youth in biz pitching tilt
- PSSCC deploys more staff to vaxx sites, swabbing centers
- InLife Good In Life Video and Photo Competition highlights inspiring Filipino values
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – SEPTEMBER 16, 2021
- Duterte transfers Philippine Crop Insurance Corp. to DOF