A TOP official of the Inter- Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease (IATF-MEID) said the city will remain under the Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) after July 15.
“MECQ pa din ang Davao kasi mataas pa din ang cases,” Secretary of Interior and Local Government Eduardo Año, also the IATF-MEID vice chair, told TIMES on Wednesday.
Although he did not mention when the extension of the classification would end, Año reminded city residents to continue to be extra careful and to always follow health protocols to prevent further the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
On Monday, Mayor Sara Z. Duterte said the city government will submit arguments that will help convince the national task force to downgrade the classification of the city.
Although she was hoping that the classification would be downgraded, the mayor, however, said it is still the task force that will decide the classification of the city.
The mayor added that aside from the stringent policies and the enhanced tracing, testing and isolation processes for those who were infected, the city government has been intensified in rolling out its vaccination program.
She said that providing shots to the residents will help the city reduce the infection rate as the city government is expecting to provide about 1.2 million of its residents, including transients, by November.
She explained that based on past occurrences, the surge in the daily cases takes four months and she hopes that this time, the period will be shorter considering the continued rollout of the vaccination program.
President Rodrigo Duterte initially placed the city under MECQ between June 5 and June and extended it until July 15 due to the rising number of daily COVID-19 cases. The President even placed the entire region under the same classification.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success