Football great Paulino Alcantara, famed swimmer Eric Buhain, track and field celebrity Elma Muros-Posadas, basketball’s Robert Jaworski, and 1988 Olympic gold medalist Arianne Cerdena of bowling will be elevated into the pantheon of Filipino sports idols to be aired on this Sunday, July 18 at PTV4 starting 7 pm.
Joining the fourth batch of inductees since the Philippine Sports Commission established the PSHOF more than a decade ago are Dionisio Calvo (basketball and football coach), Gertrudes Lozada (swimming), Rogelio Onofre (athletics), and Olympic bronze medalist boxers Leopoldo Serantes and Roel Velasco.
“Congratulations to all the fourth batch of enshrinees! These heroes and their achievements have become a source of pride and inspiration for us and the future generation of Filipinos,’’ said PSC Chairman William Ramirez, also the Chairman of the PSHOF.
By virtue of Republic Act 8757 or the Philippine Sports Hall of Fame Act, the PSHOF Selection Committee is chaired by Ramirez as PSC chairman with Philippine Olympic Committee President Abraham Tolentino as vice-chairperson. “I definitely appreciate the work of the committee for this recognition of our sports heroes, which serves as an inspiration to all,’’ said Tolentino.
Games and Amusements Board Chairman Abraham Mitra and national sports association representatives Philippine Football Federation secretary general Atty. Ed Gastanes and Philcycling secretary general Atty. Billy Sumagui served as members of the selection committee.
Also in the selection committee is Philippine Olympians Association president Akiko Thomson-Guevara, UAAP executive director Atty. Rene Andrei Saguisag Jr. as private group representatives.
“It was a journey of discovery. I would like to thank everyone for all their work. It is very enriching for me to be part of this. I am pleased with the choices of both the review and selection committees.” said Ramirez.
The 10 enshrinees will receive P200,000 each plus a well-crafted PSHOF trophy during the digital awarding ceremony.
The review committee is composed of media stalwarts Ed Andaya (People’s Tonight), Joe Antonio (People’s Journal), Rey Bancod (Daily Tribune), Dodo Catacutan (Spin.ph), Quinito Henson (Philippine Star), Tessa Jazmines (Business Mirror, Larc&Asset PR), Jun Lomibao (Business Mirror) and Tito Talao (Manila Bulletin).
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success