THE military reported an Abu Sayyaf Group leader and three other companies were killed in an operation Sunday in Sulu.
Lt. Gen. Corleto Vinluan Jr., Western Mindanao Command commander, said a team of soldiers and cops was serving an arrest warrant on Injam Yadah in Barangay Alat, Jolo, Sulu Sunday dawn when the group sensed the presence of the law enforcers and resulted in an encounter.
The encounter resulted in the death of Yadah and his companions.
“We’ve long been on the hunt for Yadah, he has a reputation of being extremely violent – beheading captured innocent civilians and security forces alike. Finally, his hideous acts will now come to a full stop,” said Maj. Gen. William Gonzales, Joint Task Force Sulu commander.
The report added one of Yadah’s companions was Al-Al Sawadjaan, the youngest brother of infamous bomber Mundi Sawadjaan, while another one was known only by his nickname and the third has yet to be identified.
Lt. Col. Wilfredo Borgonia,35th Infantry Battalion commander, said Yadah was involved in the kidnapping of various foreign nationals and locals including the ex-wife and daughter of former Talipao Mayor Tambrin Tulawie in 2018.
Borgonia added that Yadah’s latest crime was the kidnapping of Rex Triplett in Sirawai, Zamboanga Sibugay and, Dr. Moreno in Jolo in 2020. He was also involved in the abduction of the recently rescued Indonesian nationals.
The military official added that Sawadjaan was a volunteer suicide bomber and improvised explosive device maker.
Seized from Yadah’s house were a M653 Carbine, a .45 caliber pistol, explosive components and 15 mobile phones.
The group also arrested Yadah’s wife and rescued their three children.
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Hard as can be
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Free HIV testing and treatment still available at Davao’s RHWC
- Bakunahang Bayan launched at Tomas Claudio Health Center
- BOC-Davao continues Sasa Port modernization
- SEC Davao warns public vs. APower, OTCJKE
- Honorary Muslim Princess pursues Maranao museum
- PREACHING PaTIENCE | Endure Christmas gridlock a little longer – Mayor Duterte
- 2 suspects killed in shootout with police
- HEALTH OFFICIAL SAYS: Report personnel asking for VaxCert certificate payment