The amount was approved Tuesday during the PSC board meeting based on the proposed budget of the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC).
PSC Chairman Butch Ramirez said the sports agency is happy to accept and approve the said request reiterating the PSC’s commitment to support the national team’s effort to bring the best contingent possible to the Tokyo Olympics 2020+1 edition.
It will cover the international airfare, hotel and accommodation and allowances of athletes and officials as well as the COVID-19 testing prior to departure, hotel quarantine expenses and insurance for COVID-19 treatment, travel and repatriation of the entire Philippine delegation.
The POC’s proposal does not include the costs for other items such as flags, flaglets and pins, luggages, parade uniforms which would be needed should there be an opening and closing parade.
The P46.230-million assistance is still subject to adjustment based on the actual participation of Filipino athletes, coaches and officials in Tokyo and to accounting and auditing rules.
So far, nine Filipino athletes have officially qualified starring pole vault ace EJ Obiena, weightlifter Hidilyn Diaz, gymnast Carlos Yulo and boxers Nesthy Petecio, Carlo Paalam, Irish Magno and Eumir Marcial, taekwondo jin Kurt Barbosa and rower Cris Nievarez.
2021 US Open golf champion Yuka Saso and fellow golfers Bianca Pagdanganan and Juvic Pagunsan are likewise anticipated to make the cut and join Team Philippines in the July 23-Aug. 8 Summer Games as well as skateboarder Margielyn Didal.
All of them are targeting to capture the country’s first-ever gold medal in the Olympics. (PR)
- Campaign highlights importance of supporting children, says WV
- Airline heeds call for faster vaccine rollout
- The mom, her 3 kids and the work that gave her more
- Mask for a Cause at Kultura
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- `E-sabong’ gets nod
- NO TO MIXING | Expert urges residents to register for jabs, warns vs vaccine mixing
- EastMinCom units rewarded with cash
- High infection rate indicates better approach vs virus, say
- 2 nabbed, P1-M in shabu seized