DAVAO City Police Office chief Kirby John Kraft yesterday said the security simulation exercise (Simex) on Wednesday was successful as the person acting as the suspect was “neutralized.”
Kraft said the simulation exercise became the venue for the security personnel to showcase their skills in handling similar situations.
“Nakita po natin kung paano gumalaw yung iba’t-ibang law enforcement agencies and its counterparts. Nakita din natin kung ano pa ang mga kakulangan for it to improve. Sa publiko, kami po ay humihingi ng pasensya sa traffic na aming naidulot,” said Kraft, adding that the activity was necessary to help improve the security situation in the city.
He said the Special Weapon and Tactics Unit of the police office neutralized the “suspect” in the exercise that simulated a shooting and hostage-taking incident.
Kraft explained the scenario started when the man, carrying a backpack, started shooting indiscriminately, wounding five students. He then ran to the adjacent building where he shot five faculty members and took six other hostages, four of the students.
Then a student immediately called up Central 911 to report the “crime” and request police assistance.
Also involved in the activity were the Task Force Davao, Central 911, Anti Kidnapping Group, Criminal Investigation and Detection Group, Public Safety and Security Command Center( PSSCC), Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO), City Transport and Traffic Management Office ( CTTMO), and Bureau of Fire.
Kraft added that because the exercise was being done during a pandemic, the security personnel and other participants tried to maintain physical distancing and other necessary protocols to prevent the spread of the virus.
- DRIVER SURRENDERS | Fatal hit-and-run victim one step closer to getting justice
- City to host three huge events in March
- Bomb joke lands OFW in jail
- Balinsasayao Twin Lakes provide water for half-a-million people
- ROUGH CUTS | ‘Transient’ tourists only?
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | Dusit-Davao’s Romantic Valentine’s Day Offering
- 10th ID chief vows to cooperate with PNP probers on model’s slay
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Here Dodgy Doggies
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | Is the Mindanao Railway derailed?