THE Lunhaw Committee launched the 8th Dabaw Lunhaw Awards Celebration 2021 today.
The Lunhaw Awards is an annual event in Davao City that gives due recognition to Dabawenyos that have innovative, environment-friendly, and sustainable practices in their respective homes, establishments, farms, or offices.
The event was initiated by IDIS, Davao City Water District, Davao Association of Catholic Schools, City Agriculturist Office, and City Environment and Natural Resources Office nine years ago. By virtue of Executive Order 29 issued by Mayor Sara Duterte, Lunhaw Awards is conducted every September which is also declared as Lunhaw Month with annual budget appropriation.
As of 2019, Lunhaw Awards has given due recognition to ninety-one (91) environment-friendly initiatives through various categories for their contribution in addressing some of the local environmental issues such as waste management, rural and urban deforestation, food insecurity, water, air, and soil pollution, wastewater management, lack of environmental awareness, among others. This year, the Lunhaw Awards is expected to reach 106 awardees as we will be awarding 15 more green initiatives.
Due to the pandemic restrictions, the Lunhaw Awards was put on hold last year. But as the City is adapting to the new normal, the Lunhaw Committee decided to resume the practice of promoting sustainable practices this year by utilizing various digital platforms.
The Lunhaw Awards Committee, which is composed of CENRO, CAO, DACS, IDIS and DCWD enjoined Davaoeños to showcase their initiatives through joining the Lunhaw Awards. This is open to all individuals or groups such as community-based organizations, schools, student organizations, private and business establishments, non-government organizations, and government agencies with green initiatives for the past two years to apply for the awards.
The Lunhaw Awards are of various categories:
● Green Building/Urban Greening.
This category is for buildings or establishments with sustainable architecture designs, permeable pavements and sustainable rainwater catchment systems, waste management facilities, community green spaces or parks, landscapes, or tree canopy-shed parking areas.
● Forest-based Initiatives
This is open to individuals or organizations that have initiated rainforestation projects, forest adoption, agroforestry practices, riparian forest management, and other sustainable forest practices the past two years.
● Rural and Organic Farming
The category is open to farmers or organizations that have consistently practiced organic farming, urban or rural container gardening and farming, organic products, organic trading centers, and restaurants.
● Sustainable Energy Conservation
This category is open to establishments or households with renewable energy alternatives and/or energy conservation innovations.
● Sustainable Water Conservation
This is open to establishments or households with functional rainwater harvesting and utilization systems and/or water conservation innovations.
● Coastal and/or Marine Resource Management
This is open to those who have mangrove reforestation projects, coral reef, and coastal management, organic aquaculture, marine wildlife conservation.
● Pollution Control
The category is open to establishments, communities, or households with solid and liquid waste management, wastewater treatment and utilization, Bokashi technology, or clean air and water initiatives.
● Education and Advocacy
The category is open to schools or campuses which provide innovative formal or informal environmental education programs, environmental information, education, and campaigns (IEC).
The Lunhaw Awards also has Special Categories:
● Green Champion Award is open to individuals who have been consistently advocating for environmental protection for the past years
● Search for Sustainable LGU Practices is open to Barangay local government units that have innovative green initiatives in their barangay
● Permeable Parking Spaces and Walkways will give recognition to establishments with permeable pavement design for parking spaces and walkways.
The deadline for entries will be on June 25, 2021. The awarding will be in September, in time for the Lunhaw Month of Davao City. Application forms are available at CENRO, CAO, DACS, DCWD, and IDIS. Online application is also available at Lunhaw Awards’ Facebook Page.
The Lunhaw awardees will receive a Lunhaw trophy designed by a prolific Mindanaoan Artist, Kublai Milan, P10,000 worth of cash prizes, and organic goodies.
For more information, please visit the Lunhaw Awards Facebook Page: Lunhaw Awards @GreenerDavao or email the Lunhaw Awards Committee at email@example.com.
- `Crime of passion’ | Durante, 9 others tagged in Yvonette Plaza murder
- Rain causes landslide in Malabog
- ROUGH CUTS | Too much love involved here
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 100,000 health cards seen to be released this year, say
- HIGHER RATE | Dabawenyos to pay 20% more for water
- PH to send 14 athletes to Asian Lawn Bowls Championships
- Oil prices up for second straight week
- Barangays told: Set up your reading centers
- SOLDIER MURDERED | Unknown killers shoot soldier dead