THE military announced the surrender of 17 members of the New People’s Army (NPA) to the 1st Special Forces Battalion in Barangay Mamuyag, Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon yesterday.
Lt Col Vercisio San Jose, battalion commander, said the rebels were part of the Sub-Regional Committee 4 of the North Central Mindanao Regional Committee under Dionisio Micabalo alias Muling.
“Our relentless military operations against this NPA unit and continuous negotiations forced them to surrender bringing with them eleven high-powered firearms,” San Jose said, adding that the unit received the information on the surrender from their relatives three days earlier.
The surrender also led to the recovery of 11 firearms of the rebel group.
“One reason they surrendered was because of a series of major encounters,” San Jose said, adding that the rebels claimed they were afraid they might die.
As a result of the surrender, they would become the beneficiaries of the Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program which would provide them with a bag of assistance to facilitate their integration to the society.
In the meantime, they will stay at the halfway house in Impasugong, Bukidnon, but they may decide to stay longer if they fear for their lives, or choose to go home.
“We will also ensure that they are safe when retuning home,” he added.
- `Crime of passion’ | Durante, 9 others tagged in Yvonette Plaza murder
- Rain causes landslide in Malabog
- ROUGH CUTS | Too much love involved here
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 100,000 health cards seen to be released this year, say
- HIGHER RATE | Dabawenyos to pay 20% more for water
- PH to send 14 athletes to Asian Lawn Bowls Championships
- Oil prices up for second straight week
- Barangays told: Set up your reading centers
- SOLDIER MURDERED | Unknown killers shoot soldier dead