AS WE mark the quincentenary of Magellan’s landing in the Philippines, in Davao City, we have also made a mark in finally making the teaching of our history at all education levels a reality.
Last February, Mayor Sara Duterte signed an Executive order creating the Davao History Book Council and the Technical Working Group as mandated by an ordinance requiring all private and public schools in all levels to include the teaching of Davao history.
At the core of the ordinance which was authored by Councilor Pilar Braga, is the desire of the city “to promote character formation and wholesome personality development by requiring schools at the elementary, secondary and tertiary levels to inculcate patriotism and nationalism, foster love of humanity, respect for human rights, appreciation of the role of national heroes in the historical development of the country, teach the rights and duties of citizenship, strengthen the ethical and spiritual values, and develop moral character and personal discipline.”
A Davao History Book Council led by the Mayor Duterte and a technical working group composed of educators, history professors and authors will be convened to implement the ordinance considering that “while there are several books about Davao History by various authors, there has been no attempt to write a comprehensive history of Davao that could serve as instructional material for the use of schools taking into consideration some pedagogical principles of instructions.”
Understanding our history, the struggles and triumphs of our ancestors over the years, will certainly move the next generation to appreciate and be proud of our diverse culture, traditions and values.
- Capacity building for differently-abled persons cooperative continues with dressmaking training
- Globe backs calls for ICT policy reforms
- Ford PH enriches ownership experience with FordPass
- GCash removes clickable links in SMS, emails to improve security of users
- City gov’t, Poland eye areas of cooperation
- NEFM hosts maritime exercise
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | What did the hearing achieve?
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Malabar for breakfast
- Gift of Art