REIGNING International Boxing Federation World super flyweight champion Jerwin “Pretty Boy” Ancajas of Panabo City will defend his title against Jonathan Javier “Titan” Rodriguez of Mexico on April 10 at the Mohegan Site Casino in Connecticut, USA.
“Ngayon po excited na po na makabalik sa ring kasi yun nga po ma tagal tagal na di naka laban kaya’t excited na po talaga (Now I’m excited to be back in the ring because I haven’t fought for a long time, so I’m really excited),” said Ancajas.
Under the watchful eyes of manager-trainer Joven Jimenez, Ancajas has being sparred by Jonas “Zorro” Sultan (16W-5L-0D, 10KOs) and Eumir Felix Marcial both of Zamboanga City.
The 29-year-old Ancajas (32W-1L-2D, 22KOS) will be making his 9th title defense of the crown he won against McJoe Arroyo of Puerto Rico via a unanimous decision in 2016 at the Jurado Hall of the Philippine Marine Corp, Barangay Fort Bonifacio in Taguig City.
Ancajas did not have a fight last year because of the pandemic caused by COVID-19.
His last fight was against Miguel Gonzalez of Chile, who he beat by a technical knockout in the 6th round on Dec. 7, 2019 in Mexico.
“Both fighters are very aggressive style,” said Sean Simmons, head of MP Productions.
Simmons said that “Rodriguez is a traditional Mexican kid in great shape”.
The 25-year-old Rodriguez (22W-1L-0D, 16KOs) last fought against Julian Yedras of Mexico, who he knocked out in the 1st round on Dec. 4, 2020 at Las Lomas in Monterrey. (Lito delos Reyes)
- ROUGH CUTS | Bongbong-Sara tandem? Signs are unmistakable
- DMCI Homes rolls out tech upgrades for Verdon Parc project
- Ford Philippines sustains solid retail performance With 57 percent growth
- Army, Royal Brunei Armed Forces sign TOR on defense cooperation
- EO 59 bans drinking in public places
- Davao City discontinues use of face shields onboard PUJs
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Army accepting applicants to fill quota for 1,050 officers
- PSC supports ASEAN plan to add more Olympic events in SEAG
- NCCA winds down IP month