THREE judges from Davao City, who are members of the International Boxing Federation (IBF) will not be assigned in the coming IBF World minimumweight title fight on Feb. 27 at Bula Gym in Gen. Santos City.
They are veterans Jaime Mata, Romy Fordaliza and Lito delos Reyes.
Mata and Fordaliza were not assign because they are both already senior citizen as part of the Inter-Agency Task Force. Delos Reyes was also not allowed because he is a PWD (People with Disabilities).
Instead, the Games and Amusement Board (GAB) has assigned Roel Densing of Cagayan de Oro City, Brembot Dulalas and Sabas Ponpon Jr. of Davao City.
Dulalas and Ponpon had an experienced by both judging the vacant IBF Pan Pacific light flyweight title won by Randy Petalcorin last Dec. 4, 2016 in Gen. Santos City.
But Densing has not judge an IBF competition. He only refereed a World Boxing Organization, Asia Boxing Federation, World Boxing Federation and World Boxing Council. But never an IBF yet.
According to veteran WBA referee-judge Silvestre “Ver” Abainza, it is okay for a senior citizen or a PWC to judge a fight as long as he is fit.
Abainza was supposed to be assigned in the “Night of Champions XXII” boxing event last Feb. 20 in Binan, Laguna. However, Abainza begged off in the last minute because he was assigned only in the local fights and not in the main event.
Abainza and three others from the Philippines participated the 98TH WBC World Convention last November 2019 in China.
But only referee-judge Nowel Haduca of Quezon City was able to make it to the main event of the WBA world minimumweight title fight held last Feb. 20.
Judge Gerald Bassig was only assign in the local fights while veteran judge Greg Ortega was still in Cagayan de Oro City. (PR)
- Exec: Davao light spending P1.85-B in capex in 2021
- Microsoft unveils immersive education solutions to inspire educators in reimagining learning experiences
- Damosa, IWG unveil franchise partnership
- EDITORIAL | The community press today
- STATEMENT | Ending violence and ensuring jobs and rights for Filipina OFWs
- City In Photos
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Automatic writing
- Philippine Media Statement On the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- City In Photos