THE CITY government is fearing that the rise in COVID-19 cases will continue until the middle of next month as a result of the activities during the holidays.
In an interview over Davao City Disaster Radio yesterday, Dr. Ashley Lopez, Davao City Task Force COVID-19 focal person, said the grim expectation is based on the reports in the number of cases during the last few days. As of Tuesday, the city had 1,345 active cases with 122 new ones.
“Last week niubos na unta to og 980 (active cases). That was the first time (the number of active cases went down) since nag experience ta last October (in surge of cases),” Lopez said as the city had an accumulated cases of 9,863 since the first case was reported in March until Tuesday. Of these cases, 8,053 recovered, with 38 of them were reported on Tuesday to have recovered from the virus.
Despite the increase in the number of cases, Lopez also noted that the rate of recovery also went up from 65% in the early days of the virus to 81.7% at present. “That (increase in recovery rate) is the good news,” he said even as he conceded that there were still reported deaths.
Lopez attributed the surge in the number of cases to the holidays as others could not avoid holding celebrations.
“Pag January 7 nisaka ug 131 cases except last week (sa) December less than 100 na unta . So… (starting) January 7 sobra 100 na ang active cases (daily),” he said.
He reiterated the appeal of the city government for the people to follow protocols as complying with these policies would help curb the spread of the disease.
“That is why you have been always reminded to maintain minimum health standards,use of face mask and face shields and social distancing,” he added,