THE city government is looking at the possibility of extending the General Community Quarantine (GCQ) status of the city beyond this month.
However, Mayor Sara Duterte said Friday over the Davao City Disaster Radio that the possibility of extending the quarantine status of the city will still depend on the Interagency Task Force for the Management of Infectious Diseases.
The rising number of COVID-19 cases in the city prompted President Rodrigo Duterte to place it under GCQ status until January 31. The city was among the eight areas in the city that were placed under GCQ until the end of the month.
Based on the report of the regional office of the Department of Health on Saturday, of the 229 new COVID-19 cases in the region that day, 154 were from the city, 55 from Davao del Norte, 12 from Davao de Oro, six from Davao del Sur and two from Davao Occidental. Of the six recorded that day, three each were from the city and Davao de Oro.
Meanwhile, on the liquor ban and curfew, the mayor said any action will depend on the advice of health experts. “Tan-awon nato towards January 31. We will consult with health experts and we will decide depending sa ilang advice,” she said.
Early last week, the mayor also said the city government will not come up with new health protocols amid the report of a new COVID-19 variant in England. The new variant led the national government to restrict entry of foreigners from England and other 19 countries.