DAVAO City might extend its General quarantine Community (GCQ) status to next year as the COVID-19 cases continue to swell.
Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año told TIMES that the extension is one of the scenarios being considered by the Inter-agency Task Force for Emerging Infectious Disease (IATF-EID).
“Baka until January GCQ pa din kayo kasi tumataas pa din kasi (the COVID-19 cases are still rising), Año said.
However, if the number of cases has no signs of slowing down in the next few days, the IATF may recommend stricter lockdowns.
Año, also the vice-chair of the IATF-EID, said that Davao City may revert to the Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ).
He is wary of the holidays as people tend to attend parties and family gatherings, which might bloat the coronavirus cases.
Based on the record of Department of Health Philippines, Davao City is one of the areas in the country with the highest daily new cases.
He even said the National Capital Region (NCR) might also be reverted to the (MECQ).
“Tumataas na din dito sa (it is also increasing here) Manila. Kapag tuloy tuloy to ay baka mag MECQ ang NCR (if it continues, NCR will be placed under MECQ),” the IATF vice chair said.
He added that many people are still hard-headed as they leave their houses for non-essential purposes.
Based on the record of the Department of Health Philippines, as of December 19, 2020 at 4 p.m. the city ranked fourth in new infections in all cities and municipalities in the country. The city has 162 COVID-19 cases.
This was followed by Laguna with 54 cases; while Quezon City topped with 129 cases; Rizal with 102 cases; and Benguet with 81 cases.
On December 20, Davao City dropped from the top 5 in the country after tallying only 59 positive cases and 91 recoveries. Quezon City topped the list, followed by Rizal, Benguet, Laguna, and Bulacan. On the downside, Davao City recorded three deaths on that day.
Yesterday, Davao City is again back on top with 151 new cases.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success