UNDEFEATED Reymart “Assassin” Gaballo of Gen. Santos City will now replace Nonito Donaire Jr. to face former IBF bantamweight title holder Emmanuel “Manny” Rodriguez of Puerto Rico on Dec. 19 at the Showtime Championship Boxing card, live from the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Conn.
Donaire was replaced after he was found positive on COVID-19.
“This is it,” said JC Manangquil, president of the Sanman Boxing Promotions.
Gaballo (23W-0L, 20K0s) was long been waiting for this chance.
He won the vacant World Boxing Council Asian Boxing Council super bantamweight champion by knocking out Manot Comput of Thailand in the 1st round last Sept. 10, 2016 at Tupi Municipal Gymnasium in Tupi, South Cotabato.
Gaballo then grabbed the interim World Boxing Association World bantamweight title from Stephon Young of USA last March 23, 2018 at Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood.
However, Gaballo failed to make title defense in 2019 and lost the belt.
He was supposed to face orthodox Jose “Pancora” Velasquez of Chile for the vacant World Boxing Association Interim World Bantamweight championship on the same card.
But luck was on the side of Gaballo, who will now fight for the WBC bantamweight title against Rodriguez. (Lito delos Reyes)
- REFLECTIONS | More evils: Cults, “possession,” pornography and child abuse
- MONDAYS WITH PATMEI | Before there was EDSA, there was Claveria
- ROUGH CUTS… | The other face of Davao City
- TIMESMAN | My life story
- EDITORIAL CARTOON
- Parents of kids with seizure episodes urged to seek medical checkup ASAP
- Davao Light honors scholars, board passers
- SMB’s 14th ‘Trees Brew Life’ regreens Panigan Watershed
- 337 NPA guerrillas neutralized from Jan to Sept: EastMinCom
- Floods, landslides in Region XI displace 10,000 people: RDRRMC