MEMBERS of the Toril Police Station arrested a village chief and seven others for conducting illegal cockfighting Monday in Purok 3 Sitio San Agustin, Brgy. Daliaon Plantation
Major Michael Uyanguren, chief of the station, said the team arrested Generoso Bacalso, 59, married, barangay chair of the place, for heading the activity.
Also arrested were Samuel Ruben Robles, 55, married, vendor, Special Amelioration Program beneficiary, and a resident of Andaya St., Daliao; Rogelio Vales Bongas, 50, married, farmer and a resident of Purok 1 Daliaon; Vicente Gascon Napoles, 61, farmer; Florencio Ceballos Plaza, 43, married, jobless; Alfie Eresare Bernardo, 39, married, lead man, SAP beneficiary; Alias Noy, 17, single, jobless, all residents of Daliaon plantation, and Alirex Andea Ballo, 52, male, married, security guard and a resident of Purok 12 Dacudao, Calinan.
The city government has outlawed cockfighting following the incident in March when several of those who attended a derby in the city contracted the coronavirus during the event.
Confirming there were others who escaped as about 70 joined the activity, Uyanguren said a resident called up the police hotline to report the holding of the illegal activity in the village, prompting him to order the raid.
He said the suspects were “blatantly ignoring the social distancing and not wearing of facemask as protocols under the new normal.”
Seized included 11 fighting cocks with two of them still having gaffs attached to their feet and six of them dead, two other gaffs and P2,000 in bets.
Law enforcers were still preparing the cases against the suspects including violation of illegal gambling laws and minimum health protocols.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WRITING DETOURS | Confessions of a Fortnite virgin
- ROUGH CUTS | Were they neophyte traffic law enforcers?
- DUBIOUS DISTINCTION | Davao City supplants QC on daily COVID cases: researcher
- 858 affected workers apply for government financial aid
- PSC says yes to Tokyo Olympics budget from POC
- Go Negosyo, PCCI, OCTA Research join hands to push population protection
- DOLE-Davao hosts virtual job fair
- NPA rebel killed in Misamis clash
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Shot again