Sydney Sy Tancontian wound up with a bronze medal finish to close her title campaign hopes in the 2020 World Sambo Championships held in Novi, Sad, Serbia last weekend.
Despite losing her first match in the Junior Women +80 category next to Ukraine’s Keteryna Chovkhun on a 0-1 count, she fought well to redeemed herself over Spain’s Evadne Huecas, 2-1 to cap the bronze this time in the Women’s Seniors +80 division.
“Di namin inakala na sa hirap ng proseso na pinagdaanan ni Sydney ngayong taon dala ng pandemic ay naidala nya pa rin ang bronze medal sa ating bansa. Given the health protocol established by our government, the hardest part Sydney has to embrace is yung maglaro ng walang coach sa sidelines. We admit that it is a huge disadvantage. Nahirapan siya mag adjust sa first fight nya kaya she fell short. Iba kasi talaga mag laro pag may coach sa labas ng ring who can have a greater view sa positions nila.,” said PSFI secretary general Paolo Tancontian referring to her daughter, 20 year-old Sydney who was also last year’s SEAG bronze medalist.
“Sabi ko sa umpisa mahirap pala mag laro ng walang coach specially sa high level competition na tulad nito but she managed to adjust and bounced back in her next fight to
bring home the bronze medal. As her father and with all the experience my daughter has acquired through the years, I can say that this year could have been Sydney’s peak and she is much ready for the title. Kaso because of the uncontrollable circumstances, her potential was unfortunately held back. Nevertheless, we are very grateful for what she achieved,” he added.
Tancontian also would like to thank FIAS SUA Daddy Suresh Gopi Sensei Michaelangelo Dakudao, Bagani Dabaw Pilipinas, Sambo Federation Board Members PSFI Coach Ace Larida, Noelle Duritan-Claudio, Bogs Quitain, Doctor Paolo Alan B. Tabar, Marco Antonio Tamayo of IFlex Davao, SDMC Coach Gege of UST and the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC).
- DRIVER SURRENDERS | Fatal hit-and-run victim one step closer to getting justice
- City to host three huge events in March
- Bomb joke lands OFW in jail
- Balinsasayao Twin Lakes provide water for half-a-million people
- ROUGH CUTS | ‘Transient’ tourists only?
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | Dusit-Davao’s Romantic Valentine’s Day Offering
- 10th ID chief vows to cooperate with PNP probers on model’s slay
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Here Dodgy Doggies
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | Is the Mindanao Railway derailed?