THE city government has reiterated its call to those who have been living along rivers, levees or dikes, and other areas that expose their lives to risks to voluntarily dismantle their homes and vacate these areas for their safety.
This developed as the Public Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC) reported that 24 informal settlers in Purok 34, Taal in Bangkal decided to remove structures they built on the embankment of Talomo River.
Angel Sumagaysay, PSSCC head, said residents decided to demolish the structures, mostly extensions of their houses, after the office explained to them the risks of living along the river dikes.
“It was a peaceful activity and there was no coercion or whatsoever. We just had a talk with the barangay captains and purok leaders and then the day after, they commenced with the self-demolition,” said Sumagaysay, adding that among the structures were sala, kitchen, and toilets.
Sumagaysay also said that the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) will conduct an initial listing of the settlers to be given food assistance.
The city government thanked the residents for their willingness to cooperate with the authorities on a matter that involves the safety of their families and their villages.
“We extend our appreciation and gratitude to all the people, especially the employees of the City Government who live within the proximity of these settlers, who aided in making the settlers understand our intentions and spearheaded the self demolition in these areas which started last Friday and went on through the weekend,” Sumagaysay said.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- FANTASTIC BEASTS | The secrets of dumbledore, and more titles streaming on HBO go via sky
- Residents urged to be vigilant vs COVID-19
- ROUGH CUTS | Davao City’s other face
- SEC issues cease and desist order against Wellcons Unlimited Systems, Inc.
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – JUNE 29, 2022
- DOLE brings livelihood grants to Davao de Oro
- Statement on affirmation of revocation of Rappler’s Corporate Registration
- No untoward incident during oath-taking of incoming mayor
- City, DavOr, 5 towns under Alert Level 1