PERSONNEL and detainees of the Sta. Ana Police Station were quarantined after testing positive for COVID-19.
According to Capt. Rosario Aguilar, the spokesperson of the Davao City Police Office, said a total of 21 cops, members of the police auxiliary, detainees, and a civilian, tested positive for the deadly virus.
Reportedly, the commander, Maj. Benkalin Baluan, was also isolated and he was replaced by Maj. Carol Jabagat, who was named the officer-in-charge.
Jabagat said that initially, 11 police officers, eight detainees, and two auxiliary members were flagged by the tests. Contact tracing and swab testing are ongoing.
No visitors are allowed to go inside the building, while the police station has set up a desk outside to receive complaints and reports from the public to avoid disrupting their service.
The report came on the heels of another police station in Toril District, which was placed on lockdown after 30 detainees were infected. The personnel, including their commander, were also quarantined to contain the transmission.
Maj. Michael Uyanguren, the commander of the Toril Police Station, said that all suspects were subjected to a rapid diagnostic test before they are detained. It is one of the directives of the Regional Police Office XI to protect the detainees.
“Maybe they are already a carrier while they are inside but they undergo an RDT (rapid diagnostic test) (after apprehension),” he said. “I just don’t know why it developed inside, maybe it is true that the RDT test is not that really accurate.”
The 30 detainees were scheduled to be committed at the Davao City Jail in Barangay Ma-a.
- DRIVER SURRENDERS | Fatal hit-and-run victim one step closer to getting justice
- City to host three huge events in March
- Bomb joke lands OFW in jail
- Balinsasayao Twin Lakes provide water for half-a-million people
- ROUGH CUTS | ‘Transient’ tourists only?
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | Dusit-Davao’s Romantic Valentine’s Day Offering
- 10th ID chief vows to cooperate with PNP probers on model’s slay
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Here Dodgy Doggies
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | Is the Mindanao Railway derailed?