PERSONNEL and detainees of the Sta. Ana Police Station were quarantined after testing positive for COVID-19.
According to Capt. Rosario Aguilar, the spokesperson of the Davao City Police Office, said a total of 21 cops, members of the police auxiliary, detainees, and a civilian, tested positive for the deadly virus.
Reportedly, the commander, Maj. Benkalin Baluan, was also isolated and he was replaced by Maj. Carol Jabagat, who was named the officer-in-charge.
Jabagat said that initially, 11 police officers, eight detainees, and two auxiliary members were flagged by the tests. Contact tracing and swab testing are ongoing.
No visitors are allowed to go inside the building, while the police station has set up a desk outside to receive complaints and reports from the public to avoid disrupting their service.
The report came on the heels of another police station in Toril District, which was placed on lockdown after 30 detainees were infected. The personnel, including their commander, were also quarantined to contain the transmission.
Maj. Michael Uyanguren, the commander of the Toril Police Station, said that all suspects were subjected to a rapid diagnostic test before they are detained. It is one of the directives of the Regional Police Office XI to protect the detainees.
“Maybe they are already a carrier while they are inside but they undergo an RDT (rapid diagnostic test) (after apprehension),” he said. “I just don’t know why it developed inside, maybe it is true that the RDT test is not that really accurate.”
The 30 detainees were scheduled to be committed at the Davao City Jail in Barangay Ma-a.
- Maya named digital bank of the year at the int’l Future Digital Awards
- City investigating committee reconstituted
- Simulation exercise set soon in preparation for Pasko Fiesta
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- EGALITARIAN | Mindanao Futures Thinking
- HONORING MY MOTHER | The incoming waves
- The Rise of Trading in Southeast Asia
- GCash joins hands with BSP, DILG on Paleng-QR Ph rollout
- Spotify Expands Video Podcasting Feature to all Filipino Creators
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | The Bangayans’ Samgyupsalamat