WE ARE in the last quarter of the year that will go down in 21st century history as the year that changed the whole world. Without deploying a vast army and without a single gunshot fired, the world figuratively fell on its knees. Borders have closed, movements have been restricted to the very essential and the global economy dropped to levels never expected by leaders in this day and age.
Eight months after we first felt the brunt of the pandemic in the country, we continue to see the numbers of COVID-19 transmissions rising. Our only chance of ever beating the pandemic is to practice with diligence the government mandated health protocols and to avoid unnecessary travel and movement to keep ourselves safe from the virus. We cannot be too complacent or drop our guard down and allow family not living with us and close friends for a gathering or any form of celebration. There are very strict guidelines imposed by the city on crowds of more than 20 people, so celebrations, however important, have to be put on hold.
Yesterday, Mayor Sara Duterte signed EO No. 55, imposing curfew from 7 p.m. from Oct. 15 until Dec. 31, following the recent spike in COVID-19 cases in the city. This will be strictly imposed to further “regulate activities that are not essential.” In recent days, COVID-19 cases spiked up to 76 cases on Sunday, October 11, which brings the number of active cases in the city to 691.
The final quarter of the year does not usher the excitement this period usually brings, despite the carols and the christmas decors emblazoned to lift our spirits. Still, we should not allow the coronavirus to rob us of all hope that something has to give before the year is through.
- Responder drowns
- HONORING MY MOTHER: Going your own way
- ROUGH CUTS| What’s behind Mayor Baste’s silence?
- Davao ICon 2023 showcases the region’s finest
- BJMP XI offers free rides every Thursdays this month
- FORTY-SOMETHING FIRST-TIME MOM | Confessions of an angry mama
- EGALITARIAN: Nano industry and spectrum of industries
- Globe Group shares story of purpose-led transformation in UN’s Vision 2045 documentary series
- Davao Light energizes four sitios in Davao del Norte
- Full confidence