Southpaw Mark “Thunder” Vicelles of Sultan Kudarat stopped Junuel “Artroboy” Lacar of Gen. Santos City in the 4th round last Oct. 7 at the IPI Compound in Tingub, Mandaue City.
The 24-year old Vicelles first knockdown Lacar in the second and third round before stopping him in 1:47 in the fourth round.
Vicelles remained undefeated with 12 wins and six knockouts against one draw while the 27-year old Lacar suffered his six loss against eight wins and three draws.
Meanwhile, light flyweight Christian “The Bomb” Araneta of Cebu twice knocked down Richard Rosales of Bohol for a unanimous decision in the main card.
The 25-year old Araneta is now 18 wins with 14 knockouts against one loss while Rosales took his 13th loss against 14 wins and two draws.
The results: Carlo Bacaro TKO’d Jeffrey Stella in the 5th round; Penitente Apolinar beat Jetro Pabustan by a unanimous decision.
“Professional boxing is back! The GAB had supervised the Omega Sports Promotion of Jerome Calatrava,” said Baham Mitra, chairman of Games and Amusements Board.
The boxing dubbed as Kumbati 5 followed the JAO and the GAB Health Protocols in conducting the first ever pro boxing game in the country.
Boxers and ring officials were subjected to isolation just like in a bubble for 14 days before the fight and swab testing and rapid tests. Strict health protocols were implemented in the weigh in and during actual fight day.
The safety officers of the boxing promotion had monitored daily the health conditions of the boxers and ring officials in coordination with GAB.
During the event, safety officers made sure that wearing of required PPEs such as face mask, face shield and gloves, if necessary and social distancing are strictly observed.
“This professional boxing promotion has signaled the return of pro boxing industry in the Philippines as part of the new normal during this period of covid-19 pandemic,” said Mitra.
“GAB appreciates the hard work of Omega Sports Promotion and Omega Boxing Gym for initiating it and by serving as a prototype for other pro boxing promotions to come,” added Mitra. (Lito delos Reyes)
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission