THE DAVAO City Police Office (DCPO) heightened its security measures following the conviction of the seven bombers behind the 2016 attack of the Roxas Night Market.
In a phone interview, DCPO spokesperson Capt. Rosario Aguilar, said they are on alert, even as they continue to help the government enforce health and safety protocols for COVID-19.
“We will do that as a way of our life every day,” she said. “If the public observes suspicious individuals and incidents, they should report them to the hotlines posted on our social media page and nearest police stations to give appropriate actions.”
Aguilar also said the Tourist Police Unit has deployed more or less 100 personnel to secure the Roxas Night Market area, which reopened to the public last Month. Also, the Mobile Patrol Unit and the Civil Security Unit will serve as a support force.
“The TPU provided the deployment since we are considering the Roxas Night Market as a local tourist area,” she said.
While there is no immediate danger as a result of the conviction, the tightened security is meant as a preemptive measure to prevent any retaliatory attacks.
On Tuesday, Vice Mayor Sebastian Duterte expressed dismay over the acquittal of the seven bombers from the crime of terrorism in the absence of the law to convict them as such.
This was his reaction to conviction of Tj Tagabaya Macabalang, Wendel Apostol Facturan, Musali Urbano Mustapha, Jessy Vincent Guinto Original, Zack Haron Lopez, Jackson Mangulamas Usi, and Ausa Abdullah Mamasapano for the complex crime of multiple murder and attempted multiple murder handed down by Judge Marivic Vitor of the Regional Trial Court Branch 266 in Taguig City on Monday.
The accused were sentenced to life imprisonment and ordered to pay the heirs of each 15 deceased victims the amounts of P 100,000 as civil indemnity, P 100,000 moral damages, P 100,000 exemplary damages, and P 50,000 temperate damages.
They are also directed to compensate the 69 injured victims the amount of P 50,000 as civil indemnity, P 50,000 moral damages, and P 50 exemplary damages.
“[The verdict] underscores the delivery of justice for the fatalities of the bomb attack, the survivors, their loved ones, the entire City of Davao and all the Dabawenyos who endured the impact of the said terror attack,” the vice mayor said.
However, he said the accused could have been convicted of the crime of terrorism if only the Philippines has a good anti-terror law.
“If only the Philippines has a good anti-terror law, the kind of justice for the victims of that terror attack would have been even more meaningful not only to their families but also to the peace-loving Dabawenyos who want to ensure that their future is free from the threats of terrorism,” he added.
Last month, the city commemorated the 4th year of the Sept. 2, 2016, Roxas Night Market bombing incident that claimed the lives of 15 people and injured 69 others.
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | The Bull and Prosperity Tree of Michael Cacnio
- Tight security for Ironman
- RISING TO THE TOP | ity positioned as top Mice destination
- HONORING MY MOTHER | A hard rain’s a-gonna fall
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Free screenings this week @Cinematheque Davao
- ROUGH CUTS | One import trade possibly neglected by the BoC
- Torre Lorenzo launches its newest premium residence, Crown Residences at Tierra Davao
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS| Just thinking of possibilities ahead