THE EASTERN Mindanao Command (EastMinCom) condemned the New People’s Army following the recent attack that claimed the life of a Lumad in Davao de Oro.
On Sept. 11, 2020, at around 6:30 a.m., an undetermined number of communist guerrillas attacked an IP community in Purok 3, Barangay Belmonte, Laak, Davao de Oro. This prompted the tribal group of warriors called baganis to defend themselves.
Bensar Alcano was killed during the encounter.
Lt. Gen. Jose C. Faustino Jr, the commander of EastMinCom said, “This criminal act of the NPA only shows how they disrespect the indigenous peoples who are only trying to make a peaceful living.”
“At a time when the country is still struggling to fight the dreaded coronavirus, the communist NPA terrorists have also taken advantage of the situation by executing their treacherous acts.”
On the other hand, he lauded the bravery of the IP community to stand up against the NPA, which began when the local government of Laak declared the CPP-NPA as persona non grata on July 18, 2020.
He said it proves that the IP communities are ready to sacrifice their lives to defend their ancestral domain against any form of threats. This is also enshrined in the Philippine Republic Act No. 8731 otherwise known as the Indigenous Peoples’ Rights Act (IPRA) of 1997, which recognizes and protects the rights, culture, and traditions of the Indigenous People.
“We also call on the IP representatives to condemn the recent atrocity of the CNTs and to give justice on the death of Mr. Alcano and other victims,” he said.
Faustino has already directed the ground units, particularly the 60th Infantry Battalion, to pursue the perpetrators and give justice to the slain IP member.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success