A PATROLMAN died on the spot after accidentally discharging his service pistol while traveling along the provincial road of Barangay San Isidro, Tagum City on Wednesday.
He was identified as Patrolman Mark James Villanueva, who was on his way to Tagum City Police Station, along with two other police auxiliaries, after his tour of duty.
Based on the station of the police auxiliaries, they had just come from their post in Barangay San Isidro and were driving their motorcycle back to headquarters with Villanueva at the lead.
Reportedly, the policeman stopped to check if his gun was loaded then transferred it from his right hand to the left and continued on driving. Along the way, they saw the victim attempting to insert his pistol on his vest. Then a gunshot rang out and the victim crashed on the road.
The Scene of the Crime Operative Team of the Davao del Norte Provincial Crime Laboratory Office found a single empty shell near the crash site. They also recovered the Canik 9mm pistol issued to the police officer. The magazine still contained had 12 live bullets.
The SOCO team found the wound on the back of the victim, which could be an exit wound.
The body was brought to Rubio Funeral Services.
Col. Rannie Hachuela, the Davao del Norte Police Provincial Director, empathized with the patrolman’s family. He also reminded personnel to always be cautious when handling firearms.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories