A PATROLMAN died on the spot after accidentally discharging his service pistol while traveling along the provincial road of Barangay San Isidro, Tagum City on Wednesday.
He was identified as Patrolman Mark James Villanueva, who was on his way to Tagum City Police Station, along with two other police auxiliaries, after his tour of duty.
Based on the station of the police auxiliaries, they had just come from their post in Barangay San Isidro and were driving their motorcycle back to headquarters with Villanueva at the lead.
Reportedly, the policeman stopped to check if his gun was loaded then transferred it from his right hand to the left and continued on driving. Along the way, they saw the victim attempting to insert his pistol on his vest. Then a gunshot rang out and the victim crashed on the road.
The Scene of the Crime Operative Team of the Davao del Norte Provincial Crime Laboratory Office found a single empty shell near the crash site. They also recovered the Canik 9mm pistol issued to the police officer. The magazine still contained had 12 live bullets.
The SOCO team found the wound on the back of the victim, which could be an exit wound.
The body was brought to Rubio Funeral Services.
Col. Rannie Hachuela, the Davao del Norte Police Provincial Director, empathized with the patrolman’s family. He also reminded personnel to always be cautious when handling firearms.
- Exec: Davao light spending P1.85-B in capex in 2021
- Microsoft unveils immersive education solutions to inspire educators in reimagining learning experiences
- Damosa, IWG unveil franchise partnership
- EDITORIAL | The community press today
- STATEMENT | Ending violence and ensuring jobs and rights for Filipina OFWs
- City In Photos
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Automatic writing
- Philippine Media Statement On the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- City In Photos