THE DAVAO Historical Society believes that the study of history builds the foundation for good citizenship as it helps people understand change and how the present multi-cultural and diverse society came to be.
The landmark Ordinance No. 0330-20 dated August 18, 2020 mandating the teaching of history in all levels of Basic Education is highly appreciated by the Davao Historical Society. We highly commend Mayor Sara Z. Duterte, who stamped the proposal as urgent, the honorable members of the City Council led by Vice-Mayor Sebastian Z. Duterte for the swift but meaningful deliberations during council sessions, and most especially, the author of the ordinance, Councilor Pilar Braga, Chair of the Committee on Education, for making this happen.
We hope that the men and women who will draft the curricula will take cognizance of the fact that the study of the past is not only a study of heroes, the great men and women of history who successfully worked through moral dilemmas, but also of more ordinary people who provide lessons in courage, diligence, or constructive protest.
History helps provide identity and we are rich in historical data about how families, groups, institutions were formed and how they have evolved while retaining cohesion. Our city is replete with stories of hope and triumphs even in the midst of adversity, even turbulence.
We highly appreciate the city government for opening the doors to knowledge on our history, enabling the young generation to be more grounded and instilled with pride of Davao City’s heritage. By Davao Historical Society
- Gawilan formalizes Tokyo Paralmpics bid
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 7,300 CASES FILED | City pursues charge vs violators of COVID-19 health protocols
- Air assets on standby to help LGUs send supplies, vaccines
- DOH XI | No new variant in Mati City
- KISSA AND DAWAT | Merit-based selection: Can it be done?
- TURNING POINT | Bubble herd immunity
- PLAIN AND SIMPLE | To vaccine or not
- ROUGH CUTS | Where ‘deception’ makes good strategy
- URC weathers difficult times with its people-first approach