SEVEN INDIVIDUALS, including an employee of the barangay, were caught in the act betting on cards in Purok 20, de Lara Street, Calinan Poblacion on Friday evening.
They were identified as Virginia Nudalo, 57; Fernando Guevarra, 55, employed at the Office of Barangay Calinan Poblacion; Juvelyn Asis; Jessie Bayawan, 59; Lucia Olores, 59; Rogelio Bihagan, 48, helper, and Glecerio Dela Cerna, 60.
Maj. Jake Goles, commander of the Calinan Police Station, said they responded to a call from a concerned citizen regarding the rampant illegal gambling activity visibly played at the front yard of a resident.
The suspects are temporarily held in the Calinan Police Station. Confiscated from them were two sets of plastic playing cards and a total of P441 in bet money.
‘’The success of this operation serves as a stern warning to the public that the Calinan Police Station 10 is relentless and adamant in the implementation of laws and issuances in relation to COVID-19 and it has not distracted our attention from curbing all sorts of criminality, including gambling,” Goles said.
“Instead, this has made us even more focused and determined in curbing crimes, so people better behave and cooperate,” he added.
- `Crime of passion’ | Durante, 9 others tagged in Yvonette Plaza murder
- Rain causes landslide in Malabog
- ROUGH CUTS | Too much love involved here
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 100,000 health cards seen to be released this year, say
- HIGHER RATE | Dabawenyos to pay 20% more for water
- PH to send 14 athletes to Asian Lawn Bowls Championships
- Oil prices up for second straight week
- Barangays told: Set up your reading centers
- SOLDIER MURDERED | Unknown killers shoot soldier dead