AN ELDERLY woman was crush by falling concrete and debris while sleeping inside their house at a private property along Hope Avenue, Carlos P. Garcia Highway in Bangkal at 1:15 a.m. on Saturday
The victim was identified as Leticia Feuzas, 58, a native of Bohol and the caretaker of the property. Her husband, Carlos, 63, luckily survived the tragedy.
Lt. Col. Ronald Lao, the Talomo Police Station commander, said that they received a call from Central 911 control base about the landslide at the property owned by Francisco Hao Jr.
Immediately, police officers and mobile personnel were dispatched to the scene.
Upon arrival, investigators were able to interview the property owner and he disclosed at around 11:40 p.m. on July 31, the concrete retaining wall of the building collapsed under the heavy mass of mud and debris that slid down the hill. The wall collapsed on the house, crushing the couple underneath.
“The heavy rain that continues to persist may have triggered a portion of the hill to give in and collapse hitting the concrete wall of the unfinished building, ” Lao said.
Rescuers managed to extract the husband from the rubble and he sustained only minor injuries. The lady caretaker, however, was declared dead on arrival at the Adventist Hospital in Bangkal.
Nevertheless, the property owner promised to help the victims.
Recently, the city and other areas in the region experienced a series of heavy rains, especially in the afternoon and night. The City Disaster Risk and Reduction Management Center has advised residents living near rivers and low-lying areas to expect landslides and floods. They are also told to contact 911 in case of an emergency.
- MG Mall Of Asia joins MG Philippines’ Nationwide Dealership Network, and is the first MG Dealership to feature a unique MG “Carffé” Coffee Shop
- EGALITARIAN | Catching up with our neighbors
- CHEMICAL SPILL | Public warned vs. water activities at Davao River until declared safe
- Kadayawan 3D light show at City Hall starts on Aug. 5
- Ex-DA chief Piñol calls for NFA revival to promote PH banana
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Family album
- ROUGH CUTS | Our hat off the CHO
- SEC cancels Flying Bear’s lending license, registration
- City readies aid to quake victims
- LGU, DOH link to enhance campaign on family planning