AN ELDERLY woman was crush by falling concrete and debris while sleeping inside their house at a private property along Hope Avenue, Carlos P. Garcia Highway in Bangkal at 1:15 a.m. on Saturday
The victim was identified as Leticia Feuzas, 58, a native of Bohol and the caretaker of the property. Her husband, Carlos, 63, luckily survived the tragedy.
Lt. Col. Ronald Lao, the Talomo Police Station commander, said that they received a call from Central 911 control base about the landslide at the property owned by Francisco Hao Jr.
Immediately, police officers and mobile personnel were dispatched to the scene.
Upon arrival, investigators were able to interview the property owner and he disclosed at around 11:40 p.m. on July 31, the concrete retaining wall of the building collapsed under the heavy mass of mud and debris that slid down the hill. The wall collapsed on the house, crushing the couple underneath.
“The heavy rain that continues to persist may have triggered a portion of the hill to give in and collapse hitting the concrete wall of the unfinished building, ” Lao said.
Rescuers managed to extract the husband from the rubble and he sustained only minor injuries. The lady caretaker, however, was declared dead on arrival at the Adventist Hospital in Bangkal.
Nevertheless, the property owner promised to help the victims.
Recently, the city and other areas in the region experienced a series of heavy rains, especially in the afternoon and night. The City Disaster Risk and Reduction Management Center has advised residents living near rivers and low-lying areas to expect landslides and floods. They are also told to contact 911 in case of an emergency.
- `Crime of passion’ | Durante, 9 others tagged in Yvonette Plaza murder
- Rain causes landslide in Malabog
- ROUGH CUTS | Too much love involved here
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 100,000 health cards seen to be released this year, say
- HIGHER RATE | Dabawenyos to pay 20% more for water
- PH to send 14 athletes to Asian Lawn Bowls Championships
- Oil prices up for second straight week
- Barangays told: Set up your reading centers
- SOLDIER MURDERED | Unknown killers shoot soldier dead