AN ELDERLY woman was crush by falling concrete and debris while sleeping inside their house at a private property along Hope Avenue, Carlos P. Garcia Highway in Bangkal at 1:15 a.m. on Saturday
The victim was identified as Leticia Feuzas, 58, a native of Bohol and the caretaker of the property. Her husband, Carlos, 63, luckily survived the tragedy.
Lt. Col. Ronald Lao, the Talomo Police Station commander, said that they received a call from Central 911 control base about the landslide at the property owned by Francisco Hao Jr.
Immediately, police officers and mobile personnel were dispatched to the scene.
Upon arrival, investigators were able to interview the property owner and he disclosed at around 11:40 p.m. on July 31, the concrete retaining wall of the building collapsed under the heavy mass of mud and debris that slid down the hill. The wall collapsed on the house, crushing the couple underneath.
“The heavy rain that continues to persist may have triggered a portion of the hill to give in and collapse hitting the concrete wall of the unfinished building, ” Lao said.
Rescuers managed to extract the husband from the rubble and he sustained only minor injuries. The lady caretaker, however, was declared dead on arrival at the Adventist Hospital in Bangkal.
Nevertheless, the property owner promised to help the victims.
Recently, the city and other areas in the region experienced a series of heavy rains, especially in the afternoon and night. The City Disaster Risk and Reduction Management Center has advised residents living near rivers and low-lying areas to expect landslides and floods. They are also told to contact 911 in case of an emergency.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- As many as 27,000 booster shots can be administered daily: official
- Vaccination rollout for 5-11 age group pilot-tested in Manila first before DC
- 5 arrested in buy-bust, drug den raid
- Honda introduces its newest rough terrain bike
- Jarlo Bâse marks his major label debut with soulful, laid-back track “Kalapati”
- J-Pop queen Hikaru Utada delivers another pop masterpiece with eighth studio album, Bad Mode
- Concepcion backs DOLE’s call to private sector employers, but insists it should be voluntary
- WANDERLUST | Blue Lotus Hotel holds relaunch
- NPA regional committee in R-11 to be dismantled in next months