A FEMALE combatant of the New People’s Army was killed and four high-powered firearms were recovered after a 30-minute firefight with the members of 30th Infantry Battalion in Camp Edward, Alegria, Surigao del Norte on Monday.
2Lt. Benjamin Elisand de Dios, acting civil-military operations officer of the 30IB, said the unidentified female was abandoned by her comrades in their attempt to escape the pursuing soldiers.
The NPAs were believed to be members of Sentro De Grabedad, Guerrilla Front 16, North Eastern Mindanao Regional Committee. They reportedly attacked the soldiers who were then on security patrol after responding to a report from civilians about the presence of armed men in the area.
They recovered three AK-47 rifles, one Spike tactical M16 with scope, five improvised explosive devices, assorted medical supplies, 18 backpacks with personal belongings, and high-value subversive documents.
Two soldiers were also wounded in the clash, although they are already out of danger.
Last June 3, another firefight transpired between government forces and NPAs in Campo Langit, Camp Edward, Alegria. Although no casualties were recorded on both sides, the soldiers recovered high-powered firearms and two anti-personnel mines.
Lt. Col. Ryan Charles G. Callanta, the commanding officer of the 30IB, commended the soldiers for fulfilling their duty to protect the community.
“The success of this operation might not have been realized without the support of the community, particularly in providing real-time information,” Callanta said.
He also expressed his condolences to the family of the slain female guerrilla.
“I urged the remaining armed members to lay down their arms and return to the fold of Law and avail of the government’s reintegration program to avoid the same fate that happened to their peer,” Callanta added.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market