The Eastern Mindanao Command slammed the New People’s Army (NPA) after soldiers of the 25th Infantry Battalion recovered 23 landmines in Sitio San Agustin, Barangay New Calape, Montevista, Davao de Oro on Monday.
Lt. Gen. Jose Faustino, Jr., Commander of the EastMinCom, said the NPA knows that the continued use of landmines violates the International Humanitarian Law.
“It is purely barbaric as the damage of such explosives does not discriminate whether the target is a soldier or an innocent child,” he said. “Clearly, this group, who disguises themselves as the people’s army, is nothing but a bunch of terrorists whose main goal is to hold all of us hostage through fear while advancing their self-serving political agenda.”
Lt. Col. Asnawi Muti, 25th IB commander, said a rebel returnee pointed to them the location of the landmine depot. Alias Don used to be a courier for the communist rebels.
Aside from the 23 landmines—three 25-kilo improvised explosive devices, eight 15-kilo IEDs, and twelve 5-kilo IEDs—government authorities also recovered two Garand rifles and 15 pieces of blasting caps.
“We could no longer play deaf on this issue. We have to bring this problem internationally, particularly the UN (United Nations), so the whole world would know the true nature of this terrorist group,” Faustino added.
- Discover new tech trends and the new retail at the Stores Asia Expo 2022
- 10th ID donates aircons to seniors
- `Disgraceful version’ Sara lambastes Walden Bello for `blaming’ her for libel case
- Man missing as floods hit city, bares CDRRMO
- Thai, 14 others to judge `Indak-indak’, says organizer
- Councilors acknowledge Times’ role in shaping Davao’s history
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Davao Light and Poer Co., Inc. Service disruptions on August 11, 12, and 13 in different areas of Davao City
- ROUGH CUTS | One light moment with the late FVR
- OFFICIAL | Number of enrollees seen to surpass number last year