Six communist guerrillas surrendered and eight high-powered weapons were recovered in the past few days in Davao de Oro and Misamis Oriental.
According to the military report, alias Michael and Niko surrendered to the 23rd Infantry Battalion on June 11, 2020, after reportedly enduring hunger, exhaustion, and fear from their former New People’s Army fighters.
They led soldiers to the location of the arms cache composed of one AK-47 rifle, one M14 rifle, one M16 rifle, one M1 Garand rifle, one laptop, and eight cellular phones hidden in a remote area in Gingoog City, Misamis Oriental.
In another development, an encounter erupted between the troops of the 25th IB and an undetermined number of NPAs in Barangay Tapia, Davao de Oro on the early morning of June 14, 2020, after a concerned citizen reported that a group of armed men was seen foraging in the said area.
The encounter resulted in the recovery of one AK-47 rifle, one M653 rifle, two M16 Bushmaster rifles, two magazines of an AK-47, 30 rounds of cal 5.56 ammunition, and other personal belongings.
Lt Gen Jose Faustino Jr., commander of the Eastern Mindanao Command, said in a statement, “The NPA leadership and its entire command and support structure is close to breaking point. They did not only lose their mass base support but they themselves have gone tired of the lies perpetrated by their own propaganda machinery.”
“Before, the NPAs used to brag that they will never run out of fighters and that the well (of potential recruits) will never run dry because of the presence of the indigenous peoples,” he added.
He said that the communities are more empowered as the local government units have taken the lead in introducing progress to the conflict-affected areas. The Community Support Program anchored on the whole-of-nation approach has proven to be very effective in clearing the ancestral domain of these NPAs, he added.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market