Mayor Sara Duterte on Friday urged Dabawenyos to cherish the bravery of the country’s heroes as it has continually grappled with the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic.
In her speech during the commemoration of the 122nd Philippine Independence Day, the mayor said : Let us continue to cherish their bravery and sacrifices by showing the world that we can overcome the challenges that are threatening us today as Dabawenyos, as Filipinos, if we dare, if we commit, if we stand together.
We have inherited the soul of our martyrs. And this is our national weapon, she said, adding that although commemoration could be lacking in its traditional flair and grandiosity as it could be somber, this is a commemoration that is more meaningful and heartfelt.
This years theme truly resonates with all of us because of our present condition, our present fight, our present war, our present daily struggles, our priorities, and how we see our future as a nation, she said.
Although she admitted that everywhere there is gloom and despair as the world is facing an enemy that is faceless, but we are undaunted even in the face of the unknown.
We are a race of people with a long history underlined by our heroes bravery, strength, and determination to be free, she said.
Our history has taught us that there is nothing that can defeat us and dampen our soul as a people. Our history has also taught us that we rise when we are united and we win when we fight together, she added.
With her during the event were City Police Office director Kirby John Kraft, Task Force Davao commander Consolito Yecla, Public safety and security center chief Angel Sumagaysay.
After, the Mayor then visited and thanked the security forces who were assigned at the frontlines.
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – JULY 22, 2021
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- FASTLANES | Umang – the hermit crab
- BECOMING A DABAWENYO | Concerns about bicycle lanes
- FROM THE MAIL | Curbing Insurgency, a Duterte Legacy
- ROUGH CUTS | Signs of running scared?
- HIGH-VALUE TARGET | CTTMO worker caught in anti-drug entrapment
- 54-71-KM Davao bike lane network virtually launched
- Service disruptions on July 24 in different areas of Davao City
- RP bets in Olympic Village