The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases has yet to decide whether to continue the general community quarantine (GCQ) in Davao City or not.
“Davao City, so far, remains at GCQ and there has been an improvement on the situation,” Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año told TIMES.
“Its classification after May 31 would depend on the developments in the coming days,” Año, also the vice-chair of the IATF, said.
However, the multi-sectoral body recognized the efforts of the local government, which have been effective in slowing down the spread of contamination.
“The city government has been very active and effective in dealing with the COVID virus,” the secretary said.
Davao City has shifted to general community quarantine since May 16 on the recommendation of the national government. Mayor Sara Duterte has said that they will always defer to the experts when it comes to implementing restrictions.
Under the GCQ, more establishments are allowed to reopen and the ban on public transportation has been lifted. However, companies are urged to implement their respective safety measures to protect their workers.
Meanwhile, the City Traffic and Transport Management Office has been helping install plastic dividers to ensure physical distancing on public utility jeepneys. Today, limited operations will be allowed for buses traveling within and around the region.
As of 5 p.m. on Saturday, the Davao Center for Health Development reported eight new cases of COVID-19 in Davao City, bringing the total number of cases in the region to 248. The total patients who recovered in the region reached 125 following the five new recovery cases reported on Saturday.