A member of the New People’s Army was killed after a clash with soldiers of the 36th Infantry Battalion in Sitio Kiskis , Barangay Siagao, San Miguel, Surigao del Sur on Monday.
Meanwhile, two high-powered firearms and two improvised explosive devices were recovered at the encounter site.
Maj. Francisco Garello Jr., the civil-military operations officer of 402nd Infantry Brigade, said elements of the 36th IB clashed with at least rebels, believed to be members of the Sub-Regional Command 2130 of the North Eastern Mindanao Regional Committee (NEMRC) under Ka Salem.
Garello said the encounter lasted for 45 minutes before the communist guerrillas escaped, leaving behind their comrade. The soldiers overran an NPA hideout that could accommodate 40 rebels.
On May 11, the same soldiers also killed an NPA rebel and recovered one AK-47 rifle after a five-minute encounter against more or less 10 fighters, believed to be members of Sandatahang Yunit Pampropaganda 16C1, Guerilla Front (GF16), NEMRC under Ka Jacob, in Area Katarugan, Cabangahan, Cantilan, SDS.
Brig. Gen. Maurito L. Licudine, commander of the 402nd Brigade said, “We will not rest until these terrorists are destroyed. They either surrender peacefully or they will be annihilated. People are on alert and are informing us of their whereabouts. They have nowhere to hide.”
Licudine also stressed that after the encounter in Cantilan and San Miguel, both of Surigao del Sur, troops have been relentless in tracking the fleeing rebels in cooperation with the local residents.
“Local folks are volunteering vital information to track down the escaping CNTs (NPAs). That’s why we were able to intercept the CNTs in their possible consolidation areas,” he added.
Last May 10, troops under the 402nd Brigade pounced on the red fighters at the boundary of Agusan Norte and Misamis Oriental in a running gun battle. Around 15 rebels were killed in a series of clashes.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission