A New People’s Army guerilla was killed in an encounter in an uninhabited area in Katarugan, Sitio Avelino, Barangay Cabangahan, Cantilan, Surigao del Sur on Monday morning.
Capt. Jonald Romorosa, the civil-military operations officer of 36th IB, said troops recovered the body of the rebel, along with his AK-47 rifle and some subversive documents.
Romorosa said soldiers clashed with around 10 fully armed rebels, believed to be members of Sandatahang Unit Pampropaganda 16C1, Guerilla Front of the Northeastern Mindanao Regional Committee, under Alias Jacob.
Accordingly, the soldiers received a tip by locals on the presence of the rebels. The exchange of gunfires only lasted for about five minutes before the enemy escaped.
In a statement, Lt. Col. Jezreel Diagmel, commanding officer of the 36IB, commended the residents for their help to track down the rebels.
“It is a manifestation that the growing support of the communities is a response that they don’t want the CPP-NPA in their area,” Diagmel said.
The body of the slain rebel was turned over to the barangay officials and the police for identification.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories