A New People’s Army guerilla was killed in an encounter in an uninhabited area in Katarugan, Sitio Avelino, Barangay Cabangahan, Cantilan, Surigao del Sur on Monday morning.
Capt. Jonald Romorosa, the civil-military operations officer of 36th IB, said troops recovered the body of the rebel, along with his AK-47 rifle and some subversive documents.
Romorosa said soldiers clashed with around 10 fully armed rebels, believed to be members of Sandatahang Unit Pampropaganda 16C1, Guerilla Front of the Northeastern Mindanao Regional Committee, under Alias Jacob.
Accordingly, the soldiers received a tip by locals on the presence of the rebels. The exchange of gunfires only lasted for about five minutes before the enemy escaped.
In a statement, Lt. Col. Jezreel Diagmel, commanding officer of the 36IB, commended the residents for their help to track down the rebels.
“It is a manifestation that the growing support of the communities is a response that they don’t want the CPP-NPA in their area,” Diagmel said.
The body of the slain rebel was turned over to the barangay officials and the police for identification.
- ROUGH CUTS| One lesson that must be learned
- Probe into ‘abductions’
- CSC XI urges more applicants for the August 2023 CS Exam
- National Academy of Sports now accepting scholarship applicants
- DCPO asks for responsible social media use to avoid creating panic
- Power disruptions on June 4, 5, and 6 in different parts of Davao City
- SM wins ICSC MAXI Awards 2023
- Fatal association
- Over 19,000 child laborers rescued
- Davao Culinary Cup returns after hiatus