One soldier was killed when elements of the 16th Infantry Battalion clashed with New People’s Army (NPA) rebels in Sitio Guinobatan, Barangay Paradise Embac in Paquibato District on Friday.
1Lt. Jeffrey Paulo Alba, the civil-military operations officer of the 16IB, said the fatality was a private first class while a sergeant and a corporal sustained wounds in the encounter. He declined to reveal their identities prior to informing their families.
Alba said the soldiers were acting on a tip regarding armed men in the community. They were also in a hot pursuit operation on members of Guerrilla Front 55 due to the incident that occurred on April 22.
The two wounded officers are now recovering in a hospital in Davao City.
“These atrocities of the NPA terrorists are a manifestation that they are now oppressed by the conduct of a focused military operation by this unit,” Lt. Col. Joel Salaguinto, the 16IB commander said.
“It is unfortunate and sad that our soldier died protecting the community and sustaining peace and development. We extend our deepest sympathies to the bereaved family,” Salaguinto said.
Reserved troops of the unit were deployed as reinforcement and to evacuate the wounded. They also joined the main group of soldiers to pursue the fleeing rebels.
For now, the two wounded personnel are now recovering in a hospital in Davao City.
- Migs Dominguez is new Alsons Dev director
- This is it — #AngSignNaHanapMo to achieve your beauty goals
- JIB’s IChef Makes History as Mindanao’s First Halal-Certified Institution
- EGALITARIAN l Weak Peso to Our Advantage
- HONORING MY MOTHER l Cleaning as lifesaver (a Rewrite)
- ROUGH CUTS l Men are created equal?
- 2 cops nabbed for involvement in Gensan robbery; superiors relieved
- P2.448-M in shabu seized in Toril raid
- Residents urged vote for city in global contest
- Davaoeña is new head of TPB