One soldier was killed when elements of the 16th Infantry Battalion clashed with New People’s Army (NPA) rebels in Sitio Guinobatan, Barangay Paradise Embac in Paquibato District on Friday.
1Lt. Jeffrey Paulo Alba, the civil-military operations officer of the 16IB, said the fatality was a private first class while a sergeant and a corporal sustained wounds in the encounter. He declined to reveal their identities prior to informing their families.
Alba said the soldiers were acting on a tip regarding armed men in the community. They were also in a hot pursuit operation on members of Guerrilla Front 55 due to the incident that occurred on April 22.
The two wounded officers are now recovering in a hospital in Davao City.
“These atrocities of the NPA terrorists are a manifestation that they are now oppressed by the conduct of a focused military operation by this unit,” Lt. Col. Joel Salaguinto, the 16IB commander said.
“It is unfortunate and sad that our soldier died protecting the community and sustaining peace and development. We extend our deepest sympathies to the bereaved family,” Salaguinto said.
Reserved troops of the unit were deployed as reinforcement and to evacuate the wounded. They also joined the main group of soldiers to pursue the fleeing rebels.
For now, the two wounded personnel are now recovering in a hospital in Davao City.
- MG Mall Of Asia joins MG Philippines’ Nationwide Dealership Network, and is the first MG Dealership to feature a unique MG “Carffé” Coffee Shop
- EGALITARIAN | Catching up with our neighbors
- CHEMICAL SPILL | Public warned vs. water activities at Davao River until declared safe
- Kadayawan 3D light show at City Hall starts on Aug. 5
- Ex-DA chief Piñol calls for NFA revival to promote PH banana
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Family album
- ROUGH CUTS | Our hat off the CHO
- SEC cancels Flying Bear’s lending license, registration
- City readies aid to quake victims
- LGU, DOH link to enhance campaign on family planning