The Philippine Paralympic Committee (PPC) has been working closely with the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) and other government entities in monitoring the impact of the COVID-19 on the para-athletes and the hosting of the 10th Asean Para Games (APG).
On Wednesday, the PSC announced that all sports activities for the rest of the year have been postponed, including the discontinuation of the agency’s financial support to the Asean Para Games hosting. While this is disheartening news for our local and ASEAN para-athletes, who have trained and sacrificed so much to represent their respective countries, their health, and safety as well as their coaches, members of their team, and families, remain our top priority. We understand that this is a global concern and this is a very difficult decision to do. At this moment, sports must take a back seat to address a greater issue.
Altogether, the hosting of the APG by the Philippines is currently not feasible without government support. We will send a communication to the ASEAN Para Sports Federation (APSF) on the present situation so that its Board of Governors may decide on the fate of the APG.
We will continue to monitor the situation and adjust to government directives. Our hearts and prayers go to our local and ASEAN para-athletes and the entire Paralympic community, and those who have toiled and labored for the past two (2) years such as our stakeholders, sponsors, business groups, sports advocates, office workers, administrative staff, and countless volunteers who have committed to make the APG a lifelong experience for all of us. We shall continue to develop Para Sports and further the Paralympic Movement.
Let us continue to train our minds and bodies during this pandemic; let us not lose sight of our goals; let us keep the faith and plow forward.
We have our Unstoppable Spirit. We are Para Athletes. We Heal As One.
- MG Mall Of Asia joins MG Philippines’ Nationwide Dealership Network, and is the first MG Dealership to feature a unique MG “Carffé” Coffee Shop
- EGALITARIAN | Catching up with our neighbors
- CHEMICAL SPILL | Public warned vs. water activities at Davao River until declared safe
- Kadayawan 3D light show at City Hall starts on Aug. 5
- Ex-DA chief Piñol calls for NFA revival to promote PH banana
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Family album
- ROUGH CUTS | Our hat off the CHO
- SEC cancels Flying Bear’s lending license, registration
- City readies aid to quake victims
- LGU, DOH link to enhance campaign on family planning