The Philippine Paralympic Committee (PPC) has been working closely with the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) and other government entities in monitoring the impact of the COVID-19 on the para-athletes and the hosting of the 10th Asean Para Games (APG).
On Wednesday, the PSC announced that all sports activities for the rest of the year have been postponed, including the discontinuation of the agency’s financial support to the Asean Para Games hosting. While this is disheartening news for our local and ASEAN para-athletes, who have trained and sacrificed so much to represent their respective countries, their health, and safety as well as their coaches, members of their team, and families, remain our top priority. We understand that this is a global concern and this is a very difficult decision to do. At this moment, sports must take a back seat to address a greater issue.
Altogether, the hosting of the APG by the Philippines is currently not feasible without government support. We will send a communication to the ASEAN Para Sports Federation (APSF) on the present situation so that its Board of Governors may decide on the fate of the APG.
We will continue to monitor the situation and adjust to government directives. Our hearts and prayers go to our local and ASEAN para-athletes and the entire Paralympic community, and those who have toiled and labored for the past two (2) years such as our stakeholders, sponsors, business groups, sports advocates, office workers, administrative staff, and countless volunteers who have committed to make the APG a lifelong experience for all of us. We shall continue to develop Para Sports and further the Paralympic Movement.
Let us continue to train our minds and bodies during this pandemic; let us not lose sight of our goals; let us keep the faith and plow forward.
We have our Unstoppable Spirit. We are Para Athletes. We Heal As One.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories