An alleged suspect who sold overpriced rice was arrested by authorities in an entrapment operation conducted at the Toril Public Market at 2:30 p.m. on Friday.
The suspect was identified as Monrico M. Abarico. Confiscated from his possession were five sacks (weight of 50 kilos/sack, premium rice, local, Double-A) with price tag sold at P48.00 per kilo amounting to P2,400 with an estimated market value of P11,250.
Five sacks (weight of 50 kilos/sack, premium rice, local, Juliana farms) that he sold at P50 per kilo amounting to P11,250 were also seized for evidence.
Another 10 sacks (weight of 25 kilos/sack premium rice, local, Pag-asa) with price tag sold at P50 per kilo with an estimated market value of P11,250.
The government has imposed a price freeze for the rice varieties, currently with a suggested retail price of P45.
Also confiscated from him were one bundle of boodle money, P1,000 marked bill and one booklet of used cash invoice.
Maj. Milgrace Driz, Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-Davao City Field Unit, said, “The local chief executive has already set rules, policies and guidelines on this occasion of enhanced community quarantine we are also appealing to some who are engaged in selling basic commodities not to take advantage and watch over the price freeze and SRP set by the government,” she said.
The entrapment operation was launched by the CIDG, Toril Police Station, Department of Agriculture and the Department of Trade and Industry XI.
“We will continue to do our duty to enforce the law and to put behind bars those who will engage in economic sabotage during this emergency health crises,” she added.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission