A soldier died when members of the Army’s Army’ 97th Infantry Battalion clashed with a group of New People’s Army in Brgy Balukbahan, Bayog, Zamboanga del Sur Friday.
Although he did not identify the soldier who died, Lt. Col. Manaros Boransing II, commander of the unit that the soldier was badly wounded during the class and died four hours later while he was being airlifted.
Major Arvin Encinas, spokesperson of Western Mindanao Command, the soldiers have been pursuing the rebels.
On Tuesday, the same military unit also recovered guns and an improvised explosive device.
Major General Generoso M. Ponio, commander of the 1st Infantry Division, vowed to sustain the operations to defeat to free the province of the rebels.
“We extend our deepest sympathies to the bereaved family and friends of our soldier who paid the ultimate sacrifice in protecting our people against the terrorist group”, said Ponio.
“His sacrifices were borne out of his dedication to protect the constituents of Zamboanga del Sur in pursuit of peace and development”, he added as more soldiers were sent to run after the rebels.
- Gawilan formalizes Tokyo Paralmpics bid
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 7,300 CASES FILED | City pursues charge vs violators of COVID-19 health protocols
- Air assets on standby to help LGUs send supplies, vaccines
- DOH XI | No new variant in Mati City
- KISSA AND DAWAT | Merit-based selection: Can it be done?
- TURNING POINT | Bubble herd immunity
- PLAIN AND SIMPLE | To vaccine or not
- ROUGH CUTS | Where ‘deception’ makes good strategy
- URC weathers difficult times with its people-first approach