Three calamansi vendors were arrested in an entrapment operation for allegedly jacking up the price at Farmer’s Market in Bankerohan at 2:30 p.m. on Monday.
They were identified as Oliver Jumao-as Carnicel, Jabbar Palao Jamael, and Cocoy Umpao Pagalangan.
Confiscated from the possession of Carnicel were 12 sacks (at 26 kilos each) of Philippine lime that they sold for P60 per kilo.
The amount nearly doubled the suggested retail price for calamansi at P39 per kilo. The total confiscated goods had an estimated market value of P12,168.
Seized from Jamael were 10 sacks (26kl/sack) of calamansi with a market value of P10,140.
Meanwhile, confiscated from Pagalangan were four sacks (26kls/sack) of calamansi that he sold for P60, with a market value of P4,056.
Also, confiscated from them was the boodle money used by authorities to entrap them, said Maj. Milgrace Driz, the head of Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-Davao City Field Unit.
The CIDG-DCFU teamed up with the San Pedro Police Station, Department of Trade and Industry XI, represented by senior trade industry specialist Dexter Bermudez, and Alexander Sibuan, project assistant at the Department of Agriculture XI.
“We are appealing to the retailers to watch over the prices of their basic commodities with the Department of Agriculture and Department of Trade and Industry to ensure that they are using the SRP and also to report to authorities their overpriced wholesale suppliers,” Driz said.
“We will run after violators who took advantage of this situation and put them behind bars,” she added.
The suspects are now detained in the San Pedro Police Station, facing a case for violating RA 7581 or the Price Act of 1992 as amended by RA 10623 and R.A. 11332.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission