A New People’s Army member surrendered to the 30th Infantry Battalion in Surigao del Norte around 5 p.m. on April 16.
Lt Col. Jeffrey Villarosa, the 30IB commanding officer, said the rebel also pointed to an arms cache in Sitio Baliw, Barangay Payapag, Surigao del Norte.
Soldiers recovered one M14 rifle, an M16 rifle with two magazines, one KG9 pistol and two magazines, one Uzi with one magazine, ammunition, and three 50-meter rolls of electric wire.
The rebel was a former member of the Regional Sentro De Gravidad (RSDG) , North Eastern Mindanao Regional Committee (NEMRC).
Villarosa said, “As a frontliner in our fight against threats to our national security, it always brings joy to our hearts to welcome former NPA rebels.”
He said the surrenderee will be briefed and enrolled in the Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program of the government to help his transition into a normal life.
- Gawilan formalizes Tokyo Paralmpics bid
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 7,300 CASES FILED | City pursues charge vs violators of COVID-19 health protocols
- Air assets on standby to help LGUs send supplies, vaccines
- DOH XI | No new variant in Mati City
- KISSA AND DAWAT | Merit-based selection: Can it be done?
- TURNING POINT | Bubble herd immunity
- PLAIN AND SIMPLE | To vaccine or not
- ROUGH CUTS | Where ‘deception’ makes good strategy
- URC weathers difficult times with its people-first approach