Two members of the New People’s Army (NPA) were killed in a series of clashes in Km. 22, Sitio San Francisco, Barangay Campawan, Baganga, Davao Oriental involving soldiers of the 67th Infantry Battalion at 11:20 a.m. on April 16.
2Lt Kreanne Carmona, the civil-military operations officer, said soldiers also recovered one M16 and three AK-47 rifles, along with three landmines, and subversive documents.
The Scout Platoon and Platoon Bravo, under 2Lt. Kevin Saturno and 1Lt. Begex Manalo, respectively, were conducting focused military operations when they encountered 30 members of Front North, Sub-Regional Committee (SRC1) of the Southern Mindanao Regional Command (SMRC).
The clash lasted for 30 minutes before the NPAs escaped.
Prior to the encounter, the military received reports of armed groups meandering in the area. According to the Army, the indigenous community was afraid that the rebels are not following the enhanced community quarantine protocols, which puts them in harm’s way.
Meanwhile, another encounter erupted in the same barangay on April 17, resulting in the recovery of two high-powered firearms.
The Alpha Company, led by 1Lt. Al Bryan Villanueva, was conducting a blocking operation on the fleeing NPAs when they clashed with remnants of Front North, Sub-Regional Committee (SRC1).
The firefight lasted for 30 minutes.
The municipal government of Baganga, Davao Oriental already declared the (NPA) as persona non grata.
Lt Col. Louie Dema-ala, the commander of the 67IB, said the members of the NPA were trying to disrupt the peace and order of the municipality.
Similarly, the battalion is thankful to the people of Barangay Campawan for taking action against the NPA.
“The unit also urged other NPA members to surrender,” Dema-ala said. “We are assuring you of your safety and we will assist you to avail the government’s Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program.”
- MG Mall Of Asia joins MG Philippines’ Nationwide Dealership Network, and is the first MG Dealership to feature a unique MG “Carffé” Coffee Shop
- EGALITARIAN | Catching up with our neighbors
- CHEMICAL SPILL | Public warned vs. water activities at Davao River until declared safe
- Kadayawan 3D light show at City Hall starts on Aug. 5
- Ex-DA chief Piñol calls for NFA revival to promote PH banana
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Family album
- ROUGH CUTS | Our hat off the CHO
- SEC cancels Flying Bear’s lending license, registration
- City readies aid to quake victims
- LGU, DOH link to enhance campaign on family planning