Authorities arrested five people for allegedly trying to smuggle cigarettes in Barangay Kinuskusan, Bansalan, Davao del Sur during a joint checkpoint operation around 1 a.m. on Tuesday.
They were identified as Haime Akmad Kusain, 27, driver; Mama Ayob Uka, 35, driver; Kamarudin Kanday Pendaliday, 25, helper, all residents of Datu Piang, Maguindanao.
Also arrested were Musaidin G. Ali, 53, helper, and Badrudin Uyag Guket, 31, helper, both residents of Barangay Pagatin, Datu Salibo, Maguindanao.
Maj. Eudisan Gultiano, spokesperson of Police Regional Office X, said the Bansalan Municipal Police Station received a report from the Davao del Sur Criminal Investigation and Detection Group about the contraband from Davao City and headed for North Cotabato.
The Bansalan police, 2ND Davao del Sur Mobile Force company, 1104TH Regional Mobile Force Battalion, 39TH Infantry Battalion, and Provincial Highway Patrol Team-Davao del Sur set up a checkpoint to apprehend the suspects.
The two cargo trucks were flagged down as the drivers were not wearing a seatbelt. They showed a food pass, which specified that they were hauling oil, rice, and milk.
However, when they opened the van, they found 204 boxes of Fort Menthol 100’s filter cigarettes American blend and Fastar king-size cigarettes American Blend along with the essential products.
The suspects are now under the custody of the Bansalan police station.
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – JULY 22, 2021
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- FASTLANES | Umang – the hermit crab
- BECOMING A DABAWENYO | Concerns about bicycle lanes
- FROM THE MAIL | Curbing Insurgency, a Duterte Legacy
- ROUGH CUTS | Signs of running scared?
- HIGH-VALUE TARGET | CTTMO worker caught in anti-drug entrapment
- 54-71-KM Davao bike lane network virtually launched
- Service disruptions on July 24 in different areas of Davao City
- RP bets in Olympic Village