The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has warned the public about the circulating text scam using the name of President Rodrigo Duterte and telling the recipient that they won.
In an advisory, the SEC informed the public that the “PRESIDENT: RODRIGO DUTERTE CHARITY FOUNDATION” is not registered as a corporation.
Moreover, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) Policy and Specialized Supervision Sector has confirmed that the alleged electronic raffle is fake.
In the text scam, recipients are told that they won P750,000 through an electronic raffle from PRESIDENT: RODRIGO DUTERTE CHARITY FOUNDATION with Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas “Handog ng Kabuhayan.”
They are asked to give their personal information such as name, age, address, and work to someone named “Atty. Rex C. Mendez” who is allegedly from BSP.
In a BSP advisory dated May 13, 2015, the public are warned on text scams and they are told that BSP “does not sponsor or engage in any games of chance, raffle, or lottery”
The public is advised not to reply in such text scams and report the matter to the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC), National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Department of Trade and Industry, BSP or SEC by calling the Enforcement and Investor Protection Department at 8818-6047 or by sending an email to email@example.com.
Those who are guilty of committing such acts shall be penalized with two months imprisonment or a fine of P10,000 to P1 million under Section 6 (f) of Republic Act no. 11469 and shall face criminal charges for violation of the Revised Penal Code, Cyber Crime Law, and Data Privacy Act.
- Maya named digital bank of the year at the int’l Future Digital Awards
- City investigating committee reconstituted
- Simulation exercise set soon in preparation for Pasko Fiesta
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- EGALITARIAN | Mindanao Futures Thinking
- HONORING MY MOTHER | The incoming waves
- The Rise of Trading in Southeast Asia
- GCash joins hands with BSP, DILG on Paleng-QR Ph rollout
- Spotify Expands Video Podcasting Feature to all Filipino Creators
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | The Bangayans’ Samgyupsalamat