The Regional Anti-Cybercrime Unit (RACU) XI yesterday said they preparing cases against two individuals who created and shared false information on COVID-19.
Col. Noel Espinoza, the RACU XI chief, yesterday said they are gathering evidence against the two suspects and will file a case after preparing all the documents.
One of the suspects was the one who created the voice clip purportedly belonging to Mayor Sara Duterte that was shared on social media. The other one involves somebody who spread the fake news about a patient who died due to COVID-19.
“The complete details will later follow if all the requirements are completed for these two interesting cases,” he added.
Last March 22, he said they have activated the Regional Sub-Task Group against COVID -19, which will investigate false information on the virus that might cause public alarm. The group is also tasked to file the appropriate charges.
The regional PNP warned the public to be careful in sharing unverified information in private chatgroups as it can easily spread to public online platforms. If they are traced as the source, then they could face the full force of the law.
“Your enemy may testify against you,” the unit said.
“If you see fake news being shared in social media, caution the poster or sharer or report to PNP,” it further said.
Violators will face a charge in relation to RA 10175 or the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012.
The cybercrime unit also continues to monitor social media, particularly Facebook, for individuals or groups creating or sharing fake news. “And if evidence warrants (against) those who are posting fake news, a case will possibly be filed for violation of Section 154 in relation to Section 6 of RA 10175,” Espinoza said.
Under Art. 154 of the RA 10175, violators may face a penalty of arresto mayor and a fine ranging from P200 to P1,000 for unlawful use of means of publication and unlawful utterances.
- ROUGH CUTS | Run that nuclear power plant
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – MAY 25, 2022
- DTI 11 urges consumers to help in monitoring new SRPs
- SCENE CITY | Pidoks blesses fourth branch
- WANDERLUST | DA, NCCA, DOT lead Filipino Food Month celebration
- Next admin told | Build Samal bridge to improve DavNor power
- Tagum City sets record for most biodiverse observations
- CCCs offer free swabbing, teleconsultation services
- ‘Multi-layered security plan’ readied for Sara’s oathtaking
- City still enjoys low rates for COVID, 2 weeks after polls