Previous finalists from past Lunhaw awards are expected to make a comeback for this year’s event.
Ruel Kenneth Felices, partnership building officer of Interface Development Interventions Inc. (IDIS), bared that there are re-entries from some of Lunhaw Awards finalists from 2016 to 2019.
Although he cannot disclose the name of the groups, the re-entries come from organic agriculture, forest, marine conservation, and pollution control category.
On new entries, there are people who obtained forms but haven’t forwarded their documents yet so they were excluded from the shortlist, Felices said.
Lunhaw Awards is an avenue for Davaoeños to present their environment initiatives in different forms, which promotes environment-friendly and sustainable lifestyle in the city. Individuals or groups can create innovations that would address environmental problems such as garbage, pollution, deforestation, water, and energy conservation.
Present awardees have contributed in mitigating environmental problems, such as waste management, rural and urban deforestation, food insecurity, pollution, waste water management, urban flooding, and lack of environmental awareness.
Some were also recognized by regional and national award-giving bodies like the Regional Organic Agriculture Congress, Datu Bago Awards, and Lim Tian Siu Entrepreneurship Award. The said event also serves as a gathering of experts, practitioners, and advocates where they would be discussing points on environment-related activities.
In October 2018, Mayor Sara Duterte created the Lunhaw search committee for green initiatives, and also declared September as Lunhaw Month through Executive Order 29.
The deadline of entries will be on July 15, 2020 and the awarding would be in September. The event is expected to reach more than 100 awardees this year.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021