A policeman is facing charges after he was caught possessing an unlicensed firearm in a checkpoint in Barangay Pagsabangan, Tagum City, Davao del Norte on Wednesday.
Police Regional Office XI director Brig Gen Filmore Escobal said Patrolman Nolharis Lupitan Mohammad, an operative of Davao del Norte Police Office assigned at the Asuncion Municipal Police Station, will be facing both administrative and criminal charges.
Escobal said Mohammad has no legal document to prove ownership of the confiscated gun.
“After checking with the Firearms and Explosive Division, (it was found out that the gun) belonged to other person,” Escobal said. “It was not a (police) issued firearm.”
Under the supervision of Regional Intelligence Unit officer-in charge Lt. Col. Eufronio Obong Jr., a team was formed, composed of operatives from the RIU led by Major Deane Benjie Santos, Regional Mobile Force Battalion (RMFB) 1102nd led by Capt. Jeric Miraña, Asuncion MPS led by Lt. Cristino Sison Jr. and Tagum City Police Station led by Lt. Col. Pablito Odias to man the checkpoint.
During the operation in Purok Pagkakaisa, police confiscated from Mohammad’s possession a Glock .40 caliber pistol with a magazine containing nine live bullets.
A M16 magazine with 54 bullets, 15 .45 caliber bullets, and 15 other .40 caliber bullets were also seized.
Police also confiscated a bulletproof vest and the black Toyota Vios, with temporary plate number LXB592, used by the suspect.
Mohammad is now detained at the RIU headquarters based in Davao City while documents are now prepared for the filing of the charges.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- FANTASTIC BEASTS | The secrets of dumbledore, and more titles streaming on HBO go via sky
- Residents urged to be vigilant vs COVID-19
- ROUGH CUTS | Davao City’s other face
- SEC issues cease and desist order against Wellcons Unlimited Systems, Inc.
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – JUNE 29, 2022
- DOLE brings livelihood grants to Davao de Oro
- Statement on affirmation of revocation of Rappler’s Corporate Registration
- No untoward incident during oath-taking of incoming mayor
- City, DavOr, 5 towns under Alert Level 1